Preparation tips for SPGS computerised test -Pre-test please

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Littlebird

Re: Preparation tips for SPGS computerised test -Pre-test pl

Post by Littlebird »

She failed at interview and teamwork assessment, computer test result was the top. The quirky personality didnt serve her well this time. She really likes the school though, what a shame.
LGWest

Post by LGWest »

Hope she finds some other school she really likes. There arent any threads for suggesting tips on interview or how it all goes.
Wish someone can share more tips so atleast we have some decent idea.
AnKim16

Post by AnKim16 »

LGWest wrote:Hope she finds some other school she really likes. There arent any threads for suggesting tips on interview or how it all goes.
Wish someone can share more tips so atleast we have some decent idea.
DD has just passed Wycome Abbey assessment day and it’s still a long way for her to go (3 more rounds: common entrance paper test, scholarship test and interview). Therefore it may be too early for us to share tips so hopefully older members can give us some more advice here.

DD thought interview and teamwork assessments (PE and debate) were the most trickiest parts of the assessment day. She believed everyone should be themselves in the interview and has to be a nice team player. Thus she was very relaxed (not too quiet, not too chatty, calm, warm and friendly) during the interview. During the teamwork assessments she was an active member but not over confident and actively let other candidates have chance to play and talk.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As someone whose husband works in a private school, I can say that, "prepped for interview" children can be one of their bug bears....they want to see the individual and whether they will fit with their particular institution, not someone with a ream of manufactured answers - most private schools know what they are looking for and some children may not be it - that is why they interview (and why state schools are not allowed to).

General tips are to shake hands, smile, look at the person asking the question, look interested, try and be enthusiastic - be truthful, if you don't know something, admit it, be prepared to answer a range of questions which might include something about what you are reading, what you do in your spare time, current affairs, sport of anything else.
LGWest

Post by LGWest »

Congratulations to your DD AnKim16 and thanks for sharing on how she felt through the process.

Thank you for sharing tips kenyancowgirl.
lamypen

Post by lamypen »

For the St Pauls pre test last year we did some Verbal and Non verbal Bond books that were older than her age. She had previously done CAT tests at school so she was used to the type of questions. I think we did also find a spatial test online somewhere but I don't know what age it was for and as parents we found it hard - or our brains are getting slower! (probably that)

I know teachers may say you can't revise for these types of test, but its like anything, if you've seen this kind of questioning before it does help.

I did also check to see if she should do the exam as she'd also sat for the JAGS pretest and I thought that meant 1 test - but no. They're both set by CEM (I believe) but are definitely different tests and you had to take them both at each school. I don't believe the St Pauls test was dramatically different to the JAGS. The girls that passed the JAGS test also passed the St Pauls apart from 1, and that was a surprise/bad day.

DD is now at St Pauls.
LGWest

Post by LGWest »

Thanks lamypen for the info. Will look into JAGS papers as well. If you manage to spot the spatial online test, please let me know.
Online mode would be the first time for my DD, will look into any mocks available to help for online prep.

Thanks again!!
LGWest

Post by LGWest »

Any feedback on how it is on the exam day for pretest? Are there any time warnings given to girls when they have 5 mins left? Will there be a timer shown on the screen when doing the pretest so girls can keep a tab on time. Will there be teachers around to help if the girls need anything?

Will they be using just the keyboard or mouse as well? Since it's the first time DD will be giving a computerised test and also first private school test, lots of questions as it jow it I'll be on the day. Any advice or feedback will be great. Thanks.
elevenplushopefuls

Post by elevenplushopefuls »

Hi Everyone,

May I please request some information regarding the SPGS online pre-test, like
- Do we only have Maths, VR and NVR, or is there Reading Comprehension also?
- Any specific resources that would be helpful in preparation? Specially, any sources for similar online practice?
- Do girls get pen-paper etc to work out the Maths problems in rough?
- Any feedback regarding the complexity level of Maths, VR and NVR in this test?

Will be much appreciated if readers can please provide their inputs.

Many thanks in advance.
V&J

Post by V&J »

According to the information of last year, SPGS pretest is CEM format which includes comprehension, anagrams, missing words, shuffled sentences, maths, and NVR.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now