Haileybury / Bishop's Stortford College / Bancroft's 11+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lenazayka75

Haileybury / Bishop's Stortford College / Bancroft's 11+

Post by Lenazayka75 »

Hello Parents,

I would be appreciated if you share with your experience and opinion about Haileybury and Imperial Service College, Bishop's Stortford College or Bancroft's school.

DS is 10 year old, studying in Year 5; he is a very academic, social and popular at his current state school; has a lot od achievements in math, art and swimming.

All those schools left a high impression in his heart and he can not decide which one is the best. For example:

- BSC has own professional swimming club (the swimming is our life), bright art classes, strong Math and Physic.

- Hayleybury has the swimming pool but no professional club, a lot of extra other clubs, looks posh, more international, good science department, big library and DT.

- Bancroft's impressed with academic results in math, strong language department, brilliant DT (electric engineering) and carting. Swimming as a part of PE only.

In general, the staff kind and talkative at the each school. They explained what can offer taking into account every thing including references, medical and extra academic abilities. Also, DC and I have looked at St Edmund's but this is not our choice.

The boy would like to try seat 11+entrance exams in the next year but I do not know how difficult to get into them.

I notices those colleges have own written Mat and English test papers.
Moreover, Haileybury and Bishop's have VR and NVR tests which should be done on a computer. I am not sure how they look at all: ISEB standardized or something else?

Another question, how usually children react on children who came from state school or who gets a financial support from school?

What about adaptation/ settlement and bulling?

What was yours decision in favor of the particular school? Or why you decided to avoid the school?

Thank you :D
Century14

Re: Haileybury / Bishop's Stortford College / Bancroft's 11+

Post by Century14 »

I have 2 children at Bancroft's School. Both had a state primary education and neither of them knew any other children joining in their year. Both settled in very quickly and I can honestly say I don't think that anything is made of where pupils have come from or their financial backgrounds. Children don't tend to worry about such things. As a parent I have found the mix of students to be very positive, the pastoral care excellent and the vast range of opportunities superb.

Regarding your concerns about swimming, I know that there is a school swim club that trains before school (so it is not just taught in PE). Bancroft's is also very keen to support students who are successful in any sporting arena. I know of some national standard players of sports not taught in school that are fully supported in the participation of events and training.

From what I know of the other schools, I am sure that you will be very well supported in any one of the 3, so I would seriously think about travel arrangements/time if you live some distance away.

Bancroft's was definitely the right fit for our children, but only you know what is the right fit for yours. Go and look, really look. Talk to the students, and don't pay too much attention to other adult's opinions. They are all good schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now