JAGS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HOPE19

JAGS

Post by HOPE19 »

My daughter will be sitting the JAGS pre-assessment on the 23rd November. From what I understand off of their website, they are going to be testing got VR, NVR and Numerical reasoning in accordance with the CEM style. My question to any parents out there who have had any experience with JAGS is:
-Is English also a part of the assessment?
-The numerical reasoning: Is it fairly straight forward or is it the long maths kind?
-Will the girls be allowed a paper+pencil to work out the maths or is it all mental?

Any other insights/pointers will be highly appreciated.

Please help.
Thanks in advance.
grgygirl

Re: JAGS

Post by grgygirl »

For CEM advice look at the Bexley and Birmingham forums. There will be no long English type questions, just VR, same with numerical reasoning. At this stage you'll need to be at the First Past the Post books level. The 10 minute tests were good for NVR we found (although we have a ds). JAGS is very competitive and a lot of the girls will have been extensively tutored for a while.
fleurdelacourt

Post by fleurdelacourt »

The JAGs pre test was much more relaxed than any of the grammar tests dd sat. It was done in small classrooms rather than a big hall and was just one part of the session.

The VR / NVR elements were quite quick. Not sure about the pen/paper q - maybe ask the school?

The school will only be testing the things they say they will -the English test is in the exam itself in Jan.

FWIW Dd really enjoyed the morning - once they had the tests out of the way, there were biscuits and then the group activities which she really enjoyed.

This test has only been in use for a couple of years - but I have yet to meet anyone who didn't get invited to the main exam on the back of it.
Butterscotch

Post by Butterscotch »

DD did this last year and found the pre-selection and the exam itself more relaxed than expected.
We do know people who sat the preselection and didn’t make it to the main exam. Not a huge number, though! I guess it will take a while for a pattern to be established.

Wishing those who have taken the exam, all the best
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now