Help finding a senior school for my anxious ds

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Help finding a senior school for my anxious ds

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If that is to me, Amber, that is why I used the word "incidentally".... I was not making any link between anxiety and dyslexia!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Lovely to see you have so many suggestions to go with Saintrockz. There are posters on here with experience of (some) of the schools suggested so I am sure if you have any follow up questions they will be delighted to help. In the mean time good luck and do let us know how you get on, you can become the expert :)
mad?
Amber

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:If that is to me, Amber, that is why I used the word "incidentally".... I was not making any link between anxiety and dyslexia!
Nope. Upthread someone suggested that dyslexia can be the cause of anxiety. Which it can. As can a million other things. That's all. :)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

:D
Saintrockz

Post by Saintrockz »

Amber wrote:No substantive advice but may I just say that it is really refreshing to have a parent seeking advice based on a child's pastoral care needs rather than looking to find a stratospherically high attaining school. I hope one of the suggestions works out for you.

And also to say it is perfectly possible to be anxious without being dyslexic.
Amber I smiled too when I read the comments. I myself suffer from anxiety and it is varied and complex disorder. It manifests itself in many thousands of ways! My DS is intelligent sporty and is chatty and boisterous however the questions, who is picking me up? why is .... going to for an assessment and I am not? what school will I go to? and the small signs I see that he will follow but not have the confidence to speak his mind is the little signposts that say going to a large school wont be the best place for him. The unprecedented closure of his prep has made it very clear that he has been affected. My elder son is at MTS and I know it is not for my middle son. But sometimes being in a situation means you cant see a solution. Kenyancowgirl, boarding for him would not suit him maybe when he is older but not at 11plus. I am a strange conundrum wanting an academic environment and high pastoral care and small cohort...... goldilocks :lol:

i have been looking at st albans and didn't realise it had a cohort of 70 at 11 plus which sounds delightful. Now I will start trawling through the posts to gleam more information......
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

I have just read snippets...City of London has a very good ethos and pastoral care, but the journey by tube is not to be taken lightly, my DS got very overwhelmed in year 7, I had to commute with him in the mornings for the first year...and it is a bit long from Harrow I would think.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now