Highgate School?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MrsChips

Re: Highgate School?

Post by MrsChips »

That's really interesting Sla212 thank you. Gosh two thirds boys, I'm not sure that's ideal. Makes the girl pool pretty small. It's something I'll ask about if I get an opportunity.

My older child was interviewed there and didn't get offered a place, so I know it's not a given! Plus a girl I know who I thought would be a shoe-in was interviewed and didn't get a place so I'm not sure how they decide (she was v bright, ended up at City, from a very under-represented ethnic background etc, state primary etc).
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

MrsChips wrote:That's really interesting Sla212 thank you. Gosh two thirds boys, I'm not sure that's ideal. Makes the girl pool pretty small. It's something I'll ask about if I get an opportunity.

My older child was interviewed there and didn't get offered a place, so I know it's not a given! Plus a girl I know who I thought would be a shoe-in was interviewed and didn't get a place so I'm not sure how they decide (she was v bright, ended up at City, from a very under-represented ethnic background etc, state primary etc).
Just had a quick look at class lists for the year & I'd estimate it to be 59% boys. Other years may vary of course.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Mrs Chips I don’t think Sla’s experience is necessarily typical. In DS’s year 7 class (he is now in year 11) there were 12 girls, 10 boys. He is summer born btw and I remember being told that they factor that into the evaluation of scripts. I hope your DD enjoys her interview. Are you interested in other schools? I agree that the fact there are more North London options for girls and that some favour single sex, will have an impact on the chances for girls. Good luck!
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Thanks so much fairyelephant. Yes we are interested as I think it would suit her but of course we need to be offered a place before that's a choice for us... She's much more confident than the rejected sibling so might shine more in an interview but who knows.
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

Mrs Chips,
The papers are all aged standidised. So a child born in
September would
Essentially loose marks and children who are born later into the academic year gain points. So age doesn’t have a reflection.