CLSG exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Earningaplace

CLSG exam

Post by Earningaplace »

Hello, would anyone know how much a child should be able to plan, prepare,
Write and check in the CLSG 20 minute creative writing task? Thank you.
Daogroupie

Re: CLSG exam

Post by Daogroupie »

Quality is the key, not quantity.

Plan for the task not for an amount of writing.

Half a page of quality writing is worth more than three pages of dross. DG
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

Yes, I am aware of that. The question was the exam
Allows a short 20 minute to quickly think, plan and check for errors so pages would be unlikely. I was wondering if 3 paragraphs of 7/8 sentences would be realistic rather than 3 paragraphs x 10 sentences on the standard 30 minute creative writing exam. Quality and plan would be required on both
piggys

Post by piggys »

Earningaplace wrote:Yes, I am aware of that. The question was the exam
Allows a short 20 minute to quickly think, plan and check for errors so pages would be unlikely. I was wondering if 3 paragraphs of 7/8 sentences would be realistic rather than 3 paragraphs x 10 sentences on the standard 30 minute creative writing exam. Quality and plan would be required on both
You seem to be very tied up with exact numbers here and devising a formula of x number of paragraphs comprising x number of sentences; this is not how creative writing works, as DG has already explained. The key is your dc's idea(s) and then their ability to express themselves fluently using appropriate vocabulary. Please note this means NOT stuffing their writing full of rehearsed similes and pointless adjectives.
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

Thanks. My daughter is a creative and able writer. I am not worried about her ability to write an engaging piece of creative writing but I wondered how much is expected in 20 minutes, that’s all.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I think the point others are trying to make is that it depends. Clearly quality is more important than quantity, but if a DC is unable to come up with sufficient quantity of quality then it is irrelevant really. There is no binary formula here, your DD is being given the opportunity to demonstrate what she is capable of, so she should try her best to do that and hope that is what they are looking for. Good luck :)
mad?