Exploding Offers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Earningaplace

Re: Exploding Offers

Post by Earningaplace »

Not sure what you mean Toadmum. Schools aren’t privy to families private information or what offers they are holding. I know of several families whose children were in the top cohort at two grammar schools who are hoping for top London school
Offers and not the other way around.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

piggys wrote:As a parent who didn't bother with the independent sector because of unaffordability, I disagree; parents with the option of grammars AND indies are massively advantaged in my view.
True, true.

But as we're in the independent schools section of the forum, my comment was about the already a widening gap between those who can afford to pay the deposit AND drop a term's fees (payable if notice to withdraw isn't given a term in advance), and those who would have to scrimp and save to send a DC to an Indie but wouldn't qualify for a bursary.

The only time an Indie is aware of family finances is for bursary applicants. Having made bursary offers, so having determined what the school believes to be affordable for that family, I assume that they consider they've levelled the playing field, so those offers would be explodable as well.

Despite the occasional school Head lamenting that only the very rich (or very poor) can now contemplate sending children to their school, their actions do sometimes suggest that they'd rather not have the scrimpers and savers.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Earningaplace wrote:Not sure what you mean Toadmum. Schools aren’t privy to families private information or what offers they are holding. I know of several families whose children were in the top cohort at two grammar schools who are hoping for top London school
Offers and not the other way around.
The independent school(s) may not know for which (if any) state schools their applicants have applied, but will have information as to which families have applied to them for and been awarded a bursary and it's not very likely that any of those won't also have applied within the state system. Because it is a given that they will get a state school place, even if not their first preference, and not at all a given that an indie place will be offered, let alone one with a sufficient bursary attached for it to be a viable option. Are those awarded bursary places also expected to stump up the deposit in advance of national offer day and well in advance of the advertised deadline for accepting places at the school?

Cross-posted with thisisnuts :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think that those offered bursary places may pay a lower deposit - suspect agreed with the bursar. The indies are very conscious of finance and will be keen to get as many full fee payers as possible - their busary funds are limited and can support fewer kids as time goes on
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

That’s right. Bursary students pay a proportional amount of deposit. If they have been awarded 50% bursary, say, they would be expected to pay 50% of deposit.
splits123

Post by splits123 »

Thank you all for your posts.

At the NLCS open day the deputy head explicitly stated to the room that it was 'their problem' if all offers were accepted and they would all be honored. It is reassuring to hear that apart from Channing, the other schools do not operate the exploding offers.

The original reason for posting is that our daughter was fortunate to be in Band A for HBS, but obviously we will not know until national offer day whether she has actually secured a place. Although it may seem that parents have had months to decide, every persons situation is very unique. For us private would be a doable, but a stretch, so definitely a decision that requires much thought and not one that is easy.
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

I believe that if you are offered a bursary then a deposit is not required, this is certainly the case at some indies.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Then the schools must do their own thing: I have a bursary for my daughter and we paid the % proportion of the deposit that I was required to past in terms of fees.