City Boys Ten plus results out by email this morning 11th

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

City Boys Ten plus results out by email this morning 11th

Post by Daogroupie »

I wonder if they had a lot more applicants this year as securing an interview seems to have been a lot tougher than last year. DG
worrybot

Re: City Boys Ten plus results out by email this morning 11t

Post by worrybot »

Daogroupie when we went for the test we were told there were 230 applicants. Is this significantly more than previous years?

It is a no for us but a great learning lesson.
Thank you,

Worrybot
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you.

Not a huge amount but there is only space for one class. DG
Rhinoo

Post by Rhinoo »

One class? Usually 35-40 pupils enter at 10+ into Year 6, so two classes. Still a low proportion for entry if 230 applicants, I suppose, and at 10+ acceptance rates of offers probably higher.

Some possibly relevant info about CLS though. At 11+ they aim to admit 55-60 boys to take the year 7 roll up to an ideal number of 96 for four forms of 24. Last year, over 70 accepted at 11+ and the roll for Year 7 is 110, meaning an extra class has been opened up. I believe that was from 140 offers (200 interviews, 700+ candidates), but the take-up was much higher than usual.

CLS has limited space, so I suppose it's not out of the question that it'll try to calibrate this by having one fewer form (either at 11+ or 13+) in the next few years, or at least ensuring they don't bust their numbers again.

*edit* Last year, the head was philosophically very against the idea of exploding offers, so would be surprised if that's an avenue they go down
akbetter

Post by akbetter »

We've been told to attend an interview at end of the month.

Would like to give little advise for future 10+ kids/parents: Do practice the school website sample papers.

English writing task is quite similar to the sample paper, continue the story by writing a plan first.

Maths paper my ds feels slightly harder than sample paper, last 2questions are challenging. One is asking 10 digits of PI !
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

City are taking 44 boys for ten plus, so two classes.

They had 230 applicants and are bringing back 25% for interview so 58 boys.

58 boys for interview for 44 places. DG
Stressed_Dad

Post by Stressed_Dad »

My son also missed out on the interview......hopefully better luck with the 11+....

Did anyone get any actual feedback in respect of their son's performance? I received the generic email which stated that they would not give individual feedback, but I do know of another student who also missed out, but did get some broad feedback, ie needs to improve with his verbal, but Math and English are fine.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Bad luck Stressed Dad and worrybot, better luck next time.
Stressed Dad are you sure your contact got that feedback or is it possible the parent is speculating or indeed embellishing the truth a little?. I’d be very surprised if they had received feedback and also that the VR result would hold so much weight if everything else was fine.
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

City sent a follow up email yesterday afternoon with more details on numbers.

The email confirmed they are looking to have 44 boys join from the ten plus applicants this year and that they are interviewing 25% of the applicants in order to find those 44 boys.

They also gave the data that those who were invited to interview generally scored above 70% in English and Maths and at least 125 in VR.

They also reconfirmed that they would not be providing any specific feedback on individual performance or exam scores. DG
confusedmummyofboys

Post by confusedmummyofboys »

I just wanted to say the school were very helpful at offering feedback. Whilst they do say they do not offer personal feedback I did get the information required to help me know whether it was worth reapplying next year. They were able to point out where his strengths and weaknesses lay and where he needs to work to improve. So worth contacting them if you need more specific advise.

Well done to all those with interviews!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now