Common entrance

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Indiemum

Common entrance

Post by Indiemum »

Hi

Is anyone familiar with common entrance exams for 13plus entry? Some of the schools I have spoken with about transferring my son to another school for year 6 have mentioned prep schools that take the children up to and including year 8 with transfer to senior school for year 9. Part of the reason I’d like to move my son is that he is not in our opinion achieving his potential and would benefit from an independent school but we’re not sure he’d be ready for 11plus next year and am loathe to just rely on a tutor. I do t want to rush his development in any event and like the sounds of a transition for 3 years to allow him to develop. It may make sense for him to join a prep school for year 6 and remain there for 3 years and be prepared for the common entrance.

Any idea how it works? When are they assessed and what’s this I hear of conditional
Offers in year 6 or 7?

Any advice gratefully received. IM
Helpneeded

Re: Common entrance

Post by Helpneeded »

I don’t have first hand experience and someone more knowledgeable will hopefully reply but I think that most 13+ places still require you to take exams at 11. You then stay at your prep school until you take up the place. I have a vague recollection that there are some schools left which still have genuine 13+ places (I think Dulwich college was mentioned).
So your DS may still have to do the exams in Year 6 even for a 13+ place.
Someone on here should know the schools that still do 13+....
Indiemum

Post by Indiemum »

Thank you for the reply. It is so confusing - I have been trying to read up on it but I still don't get it! :? There seems to be a "pre-test" which is multiple choice online in year 6 and also a common entrance exam in year 8 and conditional and unconditional offers - every school website seems to say something a bit different.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Yes, it has always struck me as strange from the outside, but I am sure if you call one of the schools and ask they can explain it. I'm not sure where you are OP but in London a lot of preps that got to 13 lose the odd child to grammars or co-ed indies at 11+ and whilst they might not like to admit it, they usually have places in Y7. They may well want to prepare for this or indeed have places freed up by the 10+ at some schools.
mad?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Indiemum wrote:Thank you for the reply. It is so confusing - I have been trying to read up on it but I still don't get it! :? There seems to be a "pre-test" which is multiple choice online in year 6 and also a common entrance exam in year 8 and conditional and unconditional offers - every school website seems to say something a bit different.
Both my DS went to prep school but left at the end of year 6 to go to GS. They were in the minority but not alone. For those that remained many sat pre-tests as you describe and then had to get the required grade in the CE. However, things may have changed and even then every school seemed to be different. Both of my sons has boys join their classes in year 5 or 6, it's quite normal so your DS probably wouldn't be the only new boy.

Why not identify the schools that you are interested in and look at their websites. Or, have you identified a prep school that you like? Make an appointment and go and see the Head, they will be very used to this situation and will be able to explain the process for the schools in your area.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now