Independent schools 11+ appeals

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Independent schools 11+ appeals

Post by Daogroupie »

By feeder school do you mean the prep school?

The Habs boys and girls Y6 prep students do not sit the 11 plus exams and so they are not part of the ranking order.

They are automatically allocated spaces in Y7 although not all of them take them up. But this would be a real handful who do not, perhaps 3 or 4.

169 boys took GCSE English and Maths in January 2018 so we can assume that the intake is 170 after the 13 plus entry arrives in Y9

Habs do not mention any number for 11 plus or 13 plus intake which I would take to mean that they may decide each year how many to leave for 13 plus based on the quality of the 11 plus applicants.

So perhaps leaving 30 for 13 plus and with 50 reserved for the preps there should be 90 odd places available for the 240 who come for the interviews.

I know at St Albans boys siblings are given extra consideration and I know this is not the case at Habs.

St Albans boys does not have a prep school but they do hold back places for 13 plus entry.

The prep girls at NLCS do sit the exam in a separate room to the other girls and they are all allocated spaces in Y7

DG
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Thanks, she probably meant their junior school then.
bupps

Post by bupps »

Daogroupie wrote: I know at St Albans boys siblings are given extra consideration and I know this is not the case at Habs.
This wasn't what I was told during the parent "interview" at Habs yesterday. The boys school does have a sibling policy. Boys still need to complete 11+ but siblings will be called for interview.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know a sibling this year with two brothers in the school that sat and did not get called for interview.

Did they actually say that all siblings get called for interview?

Do you remember the name of the teacher? DG
Helpneeded

Post by Helpneeded »

The Deputy Head (pastoral) - sorry I can’t remember her name - told me that all siblings were given an interview.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you.

I know a parent who will be very interested to hear that this stated by a senior member of the school only yesterday. DG
Northlondonparent

Post by Northlondonparent »

I think there are always extenuating circumstances. They also have a policy to invite old boys’ sons for interview but there are exceptions I know about firsthand. They give more detailed feedback when they don’t invite old boys’ sons or siblings.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Then senior staff in the school should not tell parents that " all siblings are invited for interview" because it is not true. DG
Helpneeded

Post by Helpneeded »

Now of course wracking my brains for the exact form of words which in all honesty I can’t remember. I was surprised to be told there was any form of sibling policy at all. Certainly the impression given was that siblings were interviewed.
Northlondonparent

Post by Northlondonparent »

I think the word 'usually' in their admissions policy when it comes to old boys' DSs covers it...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now