Highgate vs CLSG

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Earningaplace

Re: Highgate vs CLSG

Post by Earningaplace »

Schools are a personal journey for each child and parent. I wouldn’t take advice from a forum on the schools. Both are great schools
But they are very different, Highgate’s curriculum and facilities are extensive. We loved HIghgate for our child and my daughter has had her interview there too. it’s very different to CLSG.
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

And this is why the exploding offers system is so infuriating. It's horrible to be having to make decisions before you even know if you've a decision to make.

Hopefully your gut will tell you when the time comes but City making their offers later does complicate things. From what I gather:

Highgate, Channing and CLSG will all be doing first-come-first-served. Both Highgate and Channing's confirmations can be done entirely electronically. According to this site Highgate offer 180 for 90 places - I can't believe that there aren't quite a fair few number of children who won't opt for other schools and it seems to me a reasonable number of offers to make and they are maintaining a waiting list. Last year, apparently, CLSG made 240 offers for 70-80 places hence the rapid explosion (i.e. Highgate is 2 offers per place, CLSG over 3) and they don't do a waiting list.

What would be useful to know, I suppose, is how many offers City is intending to make this year. They might have found last year that a higher proportion of the lower ranked candidates rushed to accept than the higher ones so might reduce the number of offers?
Eliza7

Post by Eliza7 »

Have sent you a PM
miller

Post by miller »

That's interesting Mrs Chips, I didn't know an acceptance at Channing could be done electronically. So you don't actually have to go to the school to accept an offer if you are sure you want the place?

I still have an issue with the whole exploding offer debacle though, which I must admit has put me off the schools that use them. Whilst it has been said on this forum that Parents/Children have had plenty of time to consider which school is their first choice before and after the exam, if my DD is lucky enough to get an offer from the schools she sat for, both her and us would absolutely want to have another look round before making such an important decision. For example, We visited Channing back in October, having visited another 7 or so schools since, it has become a bit of a distant memory. The rather rushed and chaotic exam session at Channing didn't help either, as DD was hoping to make some second impressions of which she had no chance.
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Oh god I couldn't agree with you more Miller. At least one of the aforementioned schools came off my list when we were deciding where to apply. We only wanted to do three exams and I didn't want to use up one of our cards for a school where the offer would vaporise.

Channing did confirm the whole offer acceptance could be done electronically but I don't think there's any harm in getting them to confirm it to you too.

It is so radically different going round a school with an offer in hand than when you don't. We did a complete Volte face with older child.

Credit to FH, SHHS, UCS, City Boys etc.
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

DAOgroupie, I fail to see what you think of as academic environment when over 93 % of children obtain an A at HIghgate. I would also add that your child’s happiness on route to these grades is what also matters and there is an awful Lot to be said for a school like
Highgate and it’s breadth of activities and facilities.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Personally when we went through this with our two, each DC had a very obvious preference that largely mirrored ours when we initially looked round. DD loved the feel of Channing, DS thought Highgate was fab and that’s where they ended up. Highgate wouldn’t have suited DD at the time, she was very anxious and needed the small nurturing atmosphere of Channing. Now I think she would hugely benefit from all there is on offer at Highgate but she would not hear of moving for sixth form - she loves her school and has done as well as she could academically at any school. Being where you can be happy is what matters - you are unlikely to do well if you’re miserable. I also think being local helps hugely - both the children and the parents in terms of getting to school and participating in things. However of course these things have a habit of working out, all the schools are very good and wherever your DC end up usually works out just fine.
drinkmoretea

Post by drinkmoretea »

MrsCal, I was just wondering how you are getting on with your thinking? We may be in the same boat as you and I'm wondering how to make decisions (if we have any to make).

Out of interest, did school offer any advice on co-ed vs single-sex?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now