Old Palace / JAGS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scotch

Old Palace / JAGS

Post by scotch »

We have a helpful scholarship offer for OP and an ordinary fee paying place for JAGS.

DD is currently at OP and many of her friends will leave for other schools at Surrey and Kent grammars. I am not sure she realises yet that it may be a significantly different group in Year 7.

OP will have a new Head in September. Welcome any advice, things you would consider, etc.

Distance is not an issue as we live within commutable good reach of both.
mad?

Re: Old Palace / JAGS

Post by mad? »

I understand that DD might not realise the difference between prep and secondary, not just in terms of current friends but also life in general (it is a big step no matter what).
JAGS is the more academic school, and more urban, how do you think DD would like this?
Presumably the scholarship is not financially significant. Ordinarily my advice would be to go with which felt 'right', but it is difficult when you are choosing between what appears to be familiar and the unknown. Good luck either way, nice to have a choice :)
mad?
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

The new head of OP is going to be Jane Burton who currently heads the girls learning trust made up of Nonsuch,Wally girls and Carshalton girls.
Previously head of Wally girls.
She has an amazing track record.
It’s hard to get into JAGS.
Well done to your dd.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond? I would go for the more academic one, unless your DD is prone to stress and anxiety and can feel undue pressure of not being top of the class anymore (she may be of course, even at JAGS). It can be hard on their self esteem at first but worth it in the end (this has been our experience, with a boy though). I have friends with the same dilemma in a West London throughout girls school, the bright and lovely girls leave for other schools at secondary and the 11+ intake is not that inspiring. Although this being said, they have managed to retain more and more of their academic girls through internal scholarships recently. it is a very hard decision and totally depends on your DD's personality.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now