Results update

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Earningaplace

Re: Results update

Post by Earningaplace »

We did two grammars and DD did well, we are on WL for one but they are quite a different paper than the traditional English and Maths the independents sit. Latymer, for example, is multiple choice and there’s lots of VR under tight time
Condition. I think they were good experience for our DD and they gave her a taste of what to expect. Our school doesn’t give any guidance on secondary schools. My daughter much prefers a regular maths and comprehension paper.
Good luck everyone and regardless of anything our DDs have worked hard and been successful
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Have been reading with interest. This was us last year, I know how stressful it can be.

I have to say I'm disappointed with the way some schools operate. Exploding offers? When did that become a thing? It used to be the case once you have received an offer, that offer remains open until the closing date. Why do they make things even more stressful?

I don't see why schools don't just over-offer by a small amount, then if they don't have enough acceptances they can go down the waiting list. It's a horrible way to treat people who've paid £100 (?) for the privilege of sitting for their school.

Good luck to everyone waiting. Having been through this process three times, I am pretty convinced that each child eventually ends up at a school that's right for them.
miller

Post by miller »

I think it becomes stressful as it seems to drag on! Exams done, that was a lot of pressure for the children. Then the wait for the results. Happiness at getting interviews, then the realisation that they are almost like another exam! Then the results, but due to timings and the policy of some schools, more stress about trying to avoid rushing decisions and making the right decision! Having gone to an offer holders morning this week I am still vehemently opposed to exploding offers, it seems to show such a lack of integrity to force the hand of parents and particularly to the DC’s themselves who have shown months (years ?) of commitment to the eleven plus system through hard work and often sacrificing other opportunities and activities on the way.
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

Hi Miller, are you just waiting for tomorrow now and did you go to the offers day on Wednesday, my DD was given a WL but in hindsight we think they maybe looking for a sporty child, ours is academic but loves to draw / read and swim etc. We have a couple of options but will wait to see what tomorrow brings. This is my second time round and I am thankful not to do it again x
theknightrider

Post by theknightrider »

Any idea when will the NLCS result will be out?
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

NLCS is out in the morning
miller

Post by miller »

I think we will never know what they are looking for! If I’m being honest I didn’t think she would be offered a place. I think and I might be wrong they seem to put a mix of girls together! My DD likes sport but certainly not very sporty and she’s tiny! She is very involved in everything possible at her primary school though. Not really waiting on tomorrow, Wednesday confirmed for DD that Habs is still her first choice and we will be accepting. Neither of the schools we are waiting on tomorrow will change that. We have declined STAHS and if she is lucky enough to receive any further offers we will decline them quickly.

Good luck to everybody tomorrow, I really hope everybody gets the news they want.
miller

Post by miller »

And yes Earningaplace...will be very glad not to go through it all again! Eldest DD has A levels coming up and off to Uni in September! DS only sat for one school (QE) and as he got a good score, he decided not to go through the Indie process the following January. When it came round to DD2, we were very relaxed (or so I thought) as she already had a place at her sisters good state school. When you are actually in the process of exams and interviews it does become all consuming and I realised I wasn’t as relaxed as I thought! I’m
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

I hear you Miller, my eldest just finished his MA so
I feel for you. Good luck with everything x
GlazedandBemused

Post by GlazedandBemused »

MiddlesexMum I couldn't agree with you more about exploding offers. I think as customers, we need not to be cowed by these institutions and make our disapproval clear. I found the City woman I spoke to snooty as when I asked her about exploding offers she said 'we have to, we're a very popular school' like it was a badge of honour. So we didn't apply. My daughter would, I think, be a natural fit for City but I don't want to start a relationship for the next 5-7 years on this basis.

OK we did apply to Highgate but from what I had gathered, there's an expiry but they don't explode in the same way because they make a reasonably conservative number of offers and then go to waitlist (in other words, quite different to City's scrum). And we applied to Channing but only as a freebie on the consortium and it does make me put it low on our list should we have a choice.

Miller how great that you've got an offer and you're happy with it. Congrats. And well done you for being so quick to turn down the ones you no longer need. Offers mornings are really useful I think and a nice reward.

And no more speculation as of tomorrow.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now