Results update

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Earningaplace

Re: Results update

Post by Earningaplace »

I certainly don’t know everything and my information only comes from
the questions I have asked heads at open day or in email correspondence directly from the schools. Thankfully neither of my children were asked to write down their schools at interview, my eldest went through the school also.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Thanks for the update Earningaplace sure your DD will be fine.

Miller, according to 11+ threads on Mumsnet, yes, the schools do find out beforehand including state schools.

I was wondering, for offer holders day, do children tend to go? Feels like DD has taken too much time off school for exams and interviews already though it will be great for her to see the school (s) again.
expat

Post by expat »

miller wrote:I’m also still pondering the question as to whether the primary schools are informed of the outcome by the schools. Some parents are convinced they do, others seem quite convinced not!
When we went through this, our primary had all(?) the results ready for the parents to collect at 7:30am on the Friday before half-term. The secondaries not only informed our primary, they must have done it no later than the previous afternoon.
expat

Post by expat »

GlazedandBemused wrote:I think City Girls massively over-offered last year to create a frenzy and save themselves the bother of having to try to make sure they got their numbers right (3 or 4x number of spaces).
CLSG told parents that they expect to make 150 offers this year and will operate a waiting list. Someone in another post claimed that they made 240(!) offers last year. I didn't hear anything about a waiting list last year, besides the one they put 80+ girls on after their offers exploded.
miller

Post by miller »

Gosh expat, that’s surprising, are you referring to the Independent schools? I’m surprised they released them to the parents.
GlazedandBemused

Post by GlazedandBemused »

I assumed the primary schools were told the day before (i.e. the Thursday when the letters are actually sent) but our head seemed to think it was earlier than that. But not today as I asked her outright! They definitely know before us though.

God am sick of waiting really am. Older child wasn't even aware of when the results were coming and didn't seem bothered about them anyway. My daughter this year has been totally on top of when we're hearing about every stage however hard I've tried to shield.
Yets15

Post by Yets15 »

Many thanks for the information all. Does anyone have any update of St Helen’s? Do they use the exploding method too?
miller

Post by miller »

Ileo - We will be attending an offer holders morning. Like you I’m becoming aware of the amount of time DD has taken off school for exams & interviews. However, We will only go to one as our decision has been made, whatever happens on Fri. I think it is important to allow DD the excitement of visiting the school and envisioning herself there. For those still undecided, I would think it is even more important (hence my dislike of exploding offers). That doesn’t mean to say my email to her school was not very apologetic! There are several children out this week from her class at an offers holders morning at Belmont and I’m sure there will be more next week.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

I was also wondering as StAHS said "if she can get the time off school" which I took to mean maybe a lot of children don't attend.

We'll see what Friday brings, only one school can change our decision except a miraculous generous scholarship appears. :D
GlazedandBemused

Post by GlazedandBemused »

I can't remember who's got what already and who is making a decision based on Friday's results.

We don't know anything yet apart from she's definitely going to be offered one school as she had a scholarship interview. We applied for 5 (only 3 exams because of consortium), but realistically really only want two of them (neither is the scholarship one). Which begs an obvious question...

So for us it's all to play for depending on Friday. We'll definitely go to at least one offers day and take daughter. She's only had one full week at school this term but it's all boring sats anyway and she's so far ahead on that because of all the 11+ stuff.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now