Results update

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Results update

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you to glazed and bemused for posting that SHHS were prepared to take emails and phone call from parents asking about results.

That was very useful information for those who were waiting and they got immediate responses so thank you.

City is a great school and I certainly would not be put off by mouldy bathroom walls and one girl who was not receptive.

City will fill their places very easily as they always do and will continue to excel.

I recommend it without hesitation. DG
elevenPlusMummy

Post by elevenPlusMummy »

My DD went through the 11 plus and is now in Yr12 at CLSG. She has had a lovely time at city and I have not heard of girls moving to SHHS, at least not in her batch. At her time we had an offer from SHHS as well but we chose city. The offer day convinced me.

The school is diverse, inclusive and supportive. We has a lovely letter from the head when the girls got their GCSE results.

I would highly recommend it.
GlazedandBemused

Post by GlazedandBemused »

Unfortunately the exploding offers system means you wouldn't get a chance to go to an offer day at City now...

I'm sure it's amazing and people do love it. And hate it - I know of girls who've left for SHHS, Northbridge among others. But probably the same is true of any school. I was hearing about a girl with an eating disorder who had to leave HBS and is happy at a local, not particularly well regarded comprehensive.

Cerrano, sorry to hear you didn't get anything from SHHS in post. Ours arrived so late. Email them so they get an email first thing on Monday. They might even be in admissions over the weekend. I remember you were keen. Where's your scholarship? Where are you leaning? Or state?

DG so glad that was useful information.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

No NLCS here so no decision to be made. Amazingly she got the CEM schools. I have a very happy DD here having just told her as she was at her friend's for a sleepover. StAHS remains her 1st choice.

I've now read StAHS's letters and somehow they managed to figure DD out in the interview. They've noted that she is quiet but confident amongst other comments.

I agree that the schools know what they are looking for in the child. At another interview, the same character trait was viewed negatively. Except of course DD just knew which school she wanted and went for it. Or the group interview played more to her strengths.

Also, whilst pastoral care is said to be great at NLCS, it would be great if they reconsidered the wording of their letters. After the exams- we could now enjoy the weekend, and now she can go and enjoy the rest of year 6. I'm sure offer holders got lovely letters of course!

Well done to all the children regardless of outcome xx
MHM

Post by MHM »

Hi all
Just picking up on something you said ilelo, do you think the offer letters are personalised, we had a couple which could have been read that way but perhaps not specific enough eg “your interviewer very much enjoyed meeting you”. You said something about them acknowledging your DD’s personality?
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Hi. We got 3 letters. The offer letter made specific reference about her in the group assessment and the 1-2-1 interview. I'm sure everyone got similar.

Then 2 more that I didn't realise were there last week. One which was much longer, detailed and referred to her scholarship audition (which she did not get) and interview. Then a last one to her, very brief and generic.
miller

Post by miller »

It makes all the difference doesn’t it Ilelo? My DD’s offer letter from STAHS was equally as personal, a little quote of something she had said in interview and comments from her interviewer about her enthusiasm. Others I am sure, disagree, but these touches, especially for a 10/11 year old are very important. My regard for a school increases tremendously when they take the time to do this. It was with a very heavy heart that we declined STAHS.

I have to say, the offer letter from Habs was equally as personal. Attached to the offer letter was a handwritten postcard from the Head, addressed to my DD, congratulating her and referring to her love of History, as expressed during her interview. The offer letter also made it clear (mirrored by STAHS) that they realised what an important decision we were making and were most welcome to visit the school again.

Having accepted Habs, we declined the offer DD received from Channing immediately. As with the whole consortium experience this year, I found the offer email lacking any personal touch at all, with much information about how quickly we would need to pay (a huge) deposit to secure a place.

Rushing online holding my bank card is something I might do to secure Harry Potter theatre tickets, but it is certainly not an approach that I would entertain for any of my children’s education.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Your last paragraph made me laugh especially as I just rushed to buy tickets for a show! I agree completely.

Yes, lovely touches. The proof will be in the pudding. Best wishes x
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

Hi Miller, we felt the same re our Channing offer. Nearly the entire email was regarding payment. Highgate offer had some lovely word and a card for our DD. NLCS was lovely and wrote why she had been offered. They took the trouble to write our daughter a personal letter and explained what was going to happen prior to her joining. We signed on friday and they called to reserve her coach on the same
Day. We will still be abroad on the offers days and they made an alternative arrangement for us. Fingers crossed now for all those waiting for CLSG.