Prep Schools Chigwell, Loughton, Buckhurst Hill

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wrecktangle

Prep Schools Chigwell, Loughton, Buckhurst Hill

Post by wrecktangle »

Looking for a good prep school for my twins, girl and boy. Any thoughts? The good, the bad and the ugly?!
klnewbie

Re: Prep Schools Chigwell, Loughton, Buckhurst Hill

Post by klnewbie »

Will you go to Woodford? I have a number of friends who are delighted with Woodford Prep (so popular you put names down in utero so check if you can join the list).
I'm trying to get my dd into Forest and Chigwell at 11, so would recommend then at 4 (in hindsight). Bancrofts is also amazing, but only starts at 7.
wrecktangle

Post by wrecktangle »

Thanks! Yes woodford prep is definitely a contender for us, if a little out of the way.
We were interested in Loyola for our son but not sure now after the headteacher has retired and been replaced. I hear Braeside has changed owners and Daiglen has a new head too?
11+ is very competitive and we want to choose the right school for our kids!
klnewbie

Post by klnewbie »

Going through the 11plus now and can confirm is crazy competitive (and super stressful).

I don't have friends with kids at the ones you mention, I'd try and get them into one of the big three personally (Forest, Chigwell, Bancrofts at 7) or at least a school that gets a high proportion of kids into the big three at 11. Obviously, you might decide they're not the right schools for your child when they turn 11, but nice to have options.

Actually I'm saying the above as the mum of a ten year old. As the parent of a younger child - go round and see them all. Follow your gut. You'll know which school will be the best for your babies.

The great news is that there are a lot of great choices in the area.
tonic_water

Post by tonic_water »

wrecktangle wrote:Thanks! Yes woodford prep is definitely a contender for us, if a little out of the way.
We were interested in Loyola for our son but not sure now after the headteacher has retired and been replaced. I hear Braeside has changed owners and Daiglen has a new head too?
11+ is very competitive and we want to choose the right school for our kids!
Braeside is not a prep school - it goes up to Year 11 and they will not give much focus on 11+ entry to other schools.

Daiglen is tiny - 11 pupils in the last cohort according to their website.
klnewbie wrote:I'd try and get them into one of the big three personally (Forest, Chigwell, Bancrofts at 7) or at least a school that gets a high proportion of kids into the big three at 11. Obviously, you might decide they're not the right schools for your child when they turn 11, but nice to have options.
I agree with this. If you want them to go to one of the "big 3" I'd certainly be trying to get them in there as early as possible.