Habs vs NLCS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scary mum

Re: Habs vs NLCS

Post by scary mum »

I think you can assume that those people had a grudge, and they are from a very long time ago. There will be people unhappy with any school. I could post a damning review of a school my DD attended for 3 years (not one ever mentioned on here) as their pastoral support for her at a time of need was terrible. Other people think it's a wonderful school, but we had to remove our DD. Go with what suits your daughter & your family circumstances best.
scary mum
EastyBeasty

Post by EastyBeasty »

Sw3
I wouldn't rely on a Mumsnet post from over ten years ago to make a decision about this...I remember that poster (scary, I know.)
sw3

Post by sw3 »

Thanks all who gave advice. When looking at the exam results, I am confused why Habs looks comparable with NLCS at GCSE but fall back at A-level? This doesn't seem a one-off phenomenon, while existing for many year...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

sw3 wrote:Thanks all who gave advice. When looking at the exam results, I am confused why Habs looks comparable with NLCS at GCSE but fall back at A-level? This doesn't seem a one-off phenomenon, while existing for many year...

I know nothing of either school, but I’d suggest you look at the requirements to get places in the sixth form and how many join and leave at sixth form. That probably will give you a big clue about why the A level results might be different.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

I understand NLCS doesn't ask girls to leave at 6th form but girls leave for other schools and others join, just like in other schools. No idea about Habs though.

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about A-levels yet as you can change schools easily for 6th form. I do appreciate not wanting to change again though.
iwantthistoend

Post by iwantthistoend »

sw3 wrote:Thanks all who gave advice. When looking at the exam results, I am confused why Habs looks comparable with NLCS at GCSE but fall back at A-level? This doesn't seem a one-off phenomenon, while existing for many year...
Hi all. Am new to this forum. My DD is currently holding a very generous offer from Habs and CLSG. We're still ruminating on which one to accept - it's a tough decision. But one of the things we've been looking at is the strange drop in results at A-level. Does anyone have an insight into this? As the OP has said, it's not a one-off, but something of a pattern. We're not necessarily thinking of staying on at 6th form, but on the other hand, it's a pain to have to change. Thoughts?
cathycmb

Post by cathycmb »

We have Habs offer as well. And I did ask this question on the offer holder’s day. I was told that each year on average there are 10-12 girls leaving. Habs recruit about 12 at 16+ entry. They say the rate is very consistent.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What exactly is the strange drop in results?

Is it all subjects? DG
iwantthistoend

Post by iwantthistoend »

Daogroupie wrote:What exactly is the strange drop in results?

Is it all subjects? DG
Hi DG, I meant compared to their success at GCSE overall. Seems they don't do quite as well at A level, but I do imagine I'm splitting hairs. Habs is still a great school by all accounts.
iwantthistoend

Post by iwantthistoend »

cathycmb wrote:We have Habs offer as well. And I did ask this question on the offer holder’s day. I was told that each year on average there are 10-12 girls leaving. Habs recruit about 12 at 16+ entry. They say the rate is very consistent.
cathycmb, glad you asked! What did you make of this response? Are they saying that perhaps the new intake might not be as strong as the students who stay on from GCSE?