Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:27 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Habs V Channing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 pm
Posts: 25
DD get offers from both Habs and Channing. We have to make a quick decision as Channing runs first come first serve.

DD does prefer Habs (40 mins coach) as 2 or 3 from her school has accepted Habs but it is further than Channing (15mins drive). Also, DD is quiet and shy. She only came to England for 2.5 years, spoke little English then. We were thrilled that she did well at 11+ but do not want to pressure her too much for secondary school.

How does one decide this?
what type of personality thrives at Habs?
what type of personality thrives at Channing?

Any input is appreciated, anything you know about the schools, how you would make that choice or how you've made that choice.

Many thanks in advance!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs V Channing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:00 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 10061
Location: Herts
Habs is a serious, focused academic school.

Students who love to learn do very well there.

I know a lot of girls there who are very happy.

If your dd is very academic then she should go to the most academic school possible and Habs is a more academic school.

Now that the consortium has abandoned traditional English Comprehension, Composition and Maths in favour of Online Verbal Reasoning, Numerical Reasoning and NVR there will be a different type of girl that gets a place.

I feel the Habs exam more accurately reflect GCSEs , A levels and Unversity entrance exams and that the Consortium were wrong to abandon this for CEM which is really best for first round testing only.

In your position I would take the Habs place but do go to both offer days and see how you feel after that. DG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs V Channing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 pm
Posts: 25
THANK YOU SO MUCH!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs V Channing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:13 am
Posts: 30
You really don't want to be driving your dd to and from school every day so the 15 minutes is a bit irrelevant. How is the journey by public transport?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs V Channing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 pm
Posts: 25
GlazedandBemused wrote:
You really don't want to be driving your dd to and from school every day so the 15 minutes is a bit irrelevant. How is the journey by public transport?


There is no public transport to Habs. Tube and bus do provide easy access to Channing.
Another point is that one younger sibling will start reception at Channing (junior school) this Sep. We will drive to Channing anyway in the morning. But my eldest DD still prefers Habs. In the end, we will have to let DD make the decision herself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs V Channing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:56 am
Posts: 11
We had the same dilemma a few years ago and chose Channing after much debate. It depends on so many factors but namely the character of your child. My older daughter went to Habs so we knew it (and liked it for her), but it can be a bit of a rat race and we weren’t sure that would suit our younger daughter who likes to set her own pace. Actually she’s doing really well at Channing and there are plenty of girls at a comparable level (with many having turned down City, SHHS etc). The “vibe” is just more relaxed and we felt it would suit her more. No regrets for us but only you can really make the decision based on your child and what you/she are looking for from a school. Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs V Channing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 pm
Posts: 25
allyNW3 wrote:
We had the same dilemma a few years ago and chose Channing after much debate. It depends on so many factors but namely the character of your child. My older daughter went to Habs so we knew it (and liked it for her), but it can be a bit of a rat race and we weren’t sure that would suit our younger daughter who likes to set her own pace. Actually she’s doing really well at Channing and there are plenty of girls at a comparable level (with many having turned down City, SHHS etc). The “vibe” is just more relaxed and we felt it would suit her more. No regrets for us but only you can really make the decision based on your child and what you/she are looking for from a school. Good luck!


Thank you so much for the input.

My eldest daughter is quiet but focused, very academic - proven by the fact she did well on 11plus from zero level of English 2 and half years ago. I just hope she will not stress herself too much at Habs where has such a strong academic focus.

I do love the 'family feeling' at Channing, which I believe suit my younger daughter more, who is singing and dancing all day long.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs V Channing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 10061
Location: Herts
She could not even speak English 2.5 years ago and she managed to understand and respond to the comprehension at Habs and do the persuasive writing and beat hundreds of other girls who have been speaking and writing English since reception.

She belongs at Habs if that is where she wants to go. DG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs V Channing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 pm
Posts: 25
Daogroupie wrote:
She could not even speak English 2.5 years ago and she managed to understand and respond to the comprehension at Habs and do the persuasive writing and beat hundreds of other girls who have been speaking and writing English since reception.

She belongs at Habs if that is where she wants to go. DG


Thank you very much, Daogroupie. Yes! She wants to go!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs V Channing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:25 am
Posts: 356
If you're driving to Fairseat, the Habs coach stops at the Red Lion and Sun.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: streathammum and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2020