Bursary vs scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tid

Re: Bursary vs scholarship

Post by Tid »

I think in most cases scholarships are reviewed year on year anyway (be they awarded for academic achievement, music, sport or whatever), so there is NO advantage to having a scholarship instead of a bursary, or a combination of the two adding to the same percentage of a single bursary.

Obviously check with the school bursar, but I imagine their financial situation would have to improve remarkably for them to stop qualifying for the bursary. Given this, and given that, as has been mentioned, scholarships are usually below 20% (in most cases quite a lot below), a 100% bursary is the absolute golden result anyone could have hoped for.
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

As already stated, she is much better off with a bursary than a scholarship - and usually school state that annual earnings have to increase "substantially" for the bursary amount to be reduced. The school sends out a form once a year, or sometimes every 2 years, and you simply confirm that earnings have not increased hugely over the last year, it's very straightforward.

Presumably your friend was offered a bursary after applying for one, so they've already checked her finances?
sw3

Post by sw3 »

Thank you all!

Yes, my friend has been checked by the school for their financial conditions. Their family annual income is only slightly above 40k, far below the school's threshold for bursary application.

The school they applied for can provide up to 50% for academic and music respectively, so actually she was expecting scholarships...

nonethelss, your advice is very helpful and will let her know. Think she should happily accept the offer.

Thanks again.
CandyCrush

Post by CandyCrush »

I think your friend can take comfort that their family income is well below the average bursary threshold. Even if their income increased by £10K pa, they’d probably still qualify for 100%. Believe me, it’s an amazing offer!

https://www.tatler.com/article/school-b ... guide-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Choco

Post by Choco »

Bursaries are means tested, but they are also often given to high performers, because more apply for them than can receive them. To get a 100% bursary, they clearly really like your DC. If it helps, think if it in these terms and it's very similar to getting a scholarship, simply with more financial benefit.

If you want, contact the school about it - not with a view to rejecting or complaining about no scholarship, but perhaps to enquire if this is essentially a scholarship on top of a bursary. Perhaps it is both - often people are awarded both at the same time as a way to recognise talent and top up the fee reduction. The terms and conditions of bursary will be included with offer - financial review is likely each year. Chances are you will always qualify for a good chunk if not all of the help - school will be expecting to give it and have funds for it. A scholarship would be lower and although usually lasts at least until end y11 is clearly of less financial benefit.

The only reason I can think to want to clarify further is if school runs a scholarship programme your DC is keen to be involved with. However, it isn't worth turning down the bursary about this and if it is confirmed that your DC was a high eorformancperformance academically or in a special area, you can ask if your DC can be part of such a programme. To be honest, they are usually used as marketing tools and offer a little extra opportunity but not much and often have strings attached such as involvement in all matches or commitments etc and can be more trouble than they are worth.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If there is a scholar programme, it is likely that if the school ahs offered a100% bursary, the candidate has scored so well, they would more than likely expect them to take part in the scholar programme - or encourage it.
Daffers

Post by Daffers »

The funds are changing over more to bursaries which are means tested but I have found appt of the top schools require you to have gained a scholarship in order to qualify for a bursary.

Congrats to your friend .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now