Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:45 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Habs vs MTS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:56 am
Posts: 8
We have been fortunate that our DS has gained offers at both MTS and Habs - however, even though it is early days, we are already struggling to come to a decision. Our DS like both schools.....

Putting aside the travelling logistics etc, focusing solely on the schools themselves, what are other parents thoughts when comparing the two schools?

Thanks for any advice.... I know it is a nice position to be in, but also there is still an element of stress :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs vs MTS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:55 am
Posts: 6
My main concern with Habs Boys is the large class size. I was told during open day that it was up to 27 students per class. MTS' class size is only 15.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs vs MTS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:12 pm
Posts: 16
coldpatch wrote:
We have been fortunate that our DS has gained offers at both MTS and Habs - however, even though it is early days, we are already struggling to come to a decision. Our DS like both schools.....

Putting aside the travelling logistics etc, focusing solely on the schools themselves, what are other parents thoughts when comparing the two schools?

Thanks for any advice.... I know it is a nice position to be in, but also there is still an element of stress :)


A difficult, but lucky choice! Well done to your DS. We have a slightly different choice: MTS and another school. We are almost certainly going to choose MTS for several reasons. A big factor is the small class size in Years 7-8 - the whole intake (60 boys in 4 classes of 15) will be new boys, allowing them to settle in and enjoy the school before the prep boys and 13+ boys join in Yr9. Every MTS boy we have met has been lovely and they speak so highly of their school.
I know HABS boys can be similar (my dad and husband are Habs boys!) but at Open days, it has a slightly different feel.

Good luck with your choice and maybe our DS will meet at MTS!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs vs MTS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:57 pm
Posts: 2
GDBJ1819 wrote:
My main concern with Habs Boys is the large class size. I was told during open day that it was up to 27 students per class. MTS' class size is only 15.


We are in the same boat as well. However, does a smaller class size make a big difference? I am sure HABS is fully aware of the class size issue and they must be designing their system to address this. Or is it just my bias towards HABS that is thinking this.
What criteria are parents using to make a decision or are u leaving it on the child to pick from either of these good schools?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs vs MTS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:32 pm
Posts: 347
Can’t speak for HABS but pastoral care at MT is excellent. You have the same tutor from year 7 throughout the school. To help communication with parents they have a whatsapp group for each year, a headmasters’ Q&A every year and their parents evening is superbly organised. There are also regular report cards, you can see where your child is compared to the rest of your year.

If it’s your son’s preference then sports is second to none, and far above other schools. I would say it is not a place which is so ‘rigid’, they’re not robots, they retain their personalities and not all moulded to be in certain way. This may not suit some children who prefer a more academic and strict environment. Children are independent from day one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs vs MTS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:12 pm
Posts: 16
AML wrote:
Can’t speak for HABS but pastoral care at MT is excellent. You have the same tutor from year 7 throughout the school. To help communication with parents they have a whatsapp group for each year, a headmasters’ Q&A every year and their parents evening is superbly organised. There are also regular report cards, you can see where your child is compared to the rest of your year.

If it’s your son’s preference then sports is second to none, and far above other schools. I would say it is not a place which is so ‘rigid’, they’re not robots, they retain their personalities and not all moulded to be in certain way. This may not suit some children who prefer a more academic and strict environment. Children are independent from day one.



This is interesting and useful - thank you. Presumably you have a DS there?
Curious to understand about sports being second to none there, is it better than Belmont/Mill Hill where sport is incredible for example?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs vs MTS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:12 pm
Posts: 16
KGupta wrote:
GDBJ1819 wrote:
My main concern with Habs Boys is the large class size. I was told during open day that it was up to 27 students per class. MTS' class size is only 15.


We are in the same boat as well. However, does a smaller class size make a big difference? I am sure HABS is fully aware of the class size issue and they must be designing their system to address this. Or is it just my bias towards HABS that is thinking this.
What criteria are parents using to make a decision or are u leaving it on the child to pick from either of these good schools?


The class size only stays at c15 at MTS until Yr 9, when the prep school and 13+ boys join. Of course Habs class size will increase again then too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs vs MTS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:32 pm
Posts: 347
Northlondonparent wrote:
AML wrote:
Can’t speak for HABS but pastoral care at MT is excellent. You have the same tutor from year 7 throughout the school. To help communication with parents they have a whatsapp group for each year, a headmasters’ Q&A every year and their parents evening is superbly organised. There are also regular report cards, you can see where your child is compared to the rest of your year.

If it’s your son’s preference then sports is second to none, and far above other schools. I would say it is not a place which is so ‘rigid’, they’re not robots, they retain their personalities and not all moulded to be in certain way. This may not suit some children who prefer a more academic and strict environment. Children are independent from day one.



This is interesting and useful - thank you. Presumably you have a DS there?
Curious to understand about sports being second to none there, is it better than Belmont/Mill Hill where sport is incredible for example?


No idea about belmont. The facilities are very good at MT where you have Indian cricket team and Home Counties using their grounds. Lots of competitive fixtures plus sports tours abroad and home. The sports programmes is in conjunction with nutritionists, sonofferinng a holistic programme. Plus unlike Habs, they have sports scholars to push those who are more able. Those children get extra training and sporting opportunities on top of what is available.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs vs MTS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:55 am
Posts: 6
The only thing puts my DS off choosing MTS is that they do not do football, despite there are football facilities as Sunday League matches are run there.

We also have a choice of St Albans, but comparing to Habs and MTS, it is less convenient to commute from where we are.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Habs vs MTS
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:50 am
Posts: 75
GDBJ1819 is right MT is big on Rugby, not football. When DS joined Taylors back in 2012, he was football mad but it wasn’t long before he turned his passions to rugby. Taylors play rugby very well.

We didn’t have the luxury of a choice between Habs and MT as Habs didn’t offer DS a place. Now, with straight A*s at GCSE and an Oxbridge offer in hand, we’ll never know whether Habs got it wrong or it was only at Taylors he was able to meet his full potential.

Many of the teaching staff at Taylors are outstanding - often young and hungry to succeed, they may stay only 3-4 years before leaving for more senior roles at other highly regarded independent schools. We’ve found this turnover of ambitious teaching staff to be a strength of the school providing an energetic vibrant environment with no room for complacency.

You’re in a very fortunate position to have offers from both schools - let your son go to the offers days and see where he feels most comfortable.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2020