Consortium dilemma - SHHS v Channing v FHS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
allyNW3

Re: Consortium dilemma - SHHS v Channing v FHS

Post by allyNW3 »

Absolutely agree with this last point. Some children definitely do better (and are much happier) being towards the top of a group. I’ve got three daughters all at different schools as they have different personalities. Academically there isn’t much beteeen them but the hierarchy of the schools they are at is quite different. In fact the brightest is at the least pressurised school as that suits her personality more.

That said, all schools do have a range of abilities- some children start off strong at 11 and then slow down, others gain pace, so those that ace the 11+ aren’t always the strongest in years 9 and onwards. There is also a lot of luck in the 11+ process (both good and bad). I am also a teacher at one of the consortium schools so see it from that angle too.

The consortium schools are all very good and many girls with multiple offers choose one lower in the hierarchy (for closeness to home, suitability, etc.) so they (and I) don’t believe that ranking is the most important factor. Also as someone mentioned earlier, the difference in results is a few children per year. Also there is a lot of movement after GCSEs so I only look that far ahead when trying to decipher the league tables.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It will be very interesting to track the impact of the decision by the consortium to embrace the online CEM test and dispense with traditional English and Maths papers.

Feedback so far has been that this test was a lot easier than the paper CEM tests used by the grammar schools last year. DG
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Totally agree with previous posters that the 'hierarchy' is as much to do with a virtuous circle of higher results leading to higher aptitude pupils etc rather than added value or good teaching. But I would argue that given that it exists, then schools which are less prestigious have to do more to promote themselves to all applicants. I think FHRP is doing this brilliantly but Channing less so. It seems to me that there's an energy and optimism about the head at FH that permeates while (my impression only), the head of Channing contributes to an atmosphere that feels more stale or complacent. Channing gives off a similar vibe to City in terms of how they run admissions but I think they can ill afford to.

allyNW3 that's interesting that you've chosen three different schools. Isn't that a bit of a palaver for a parent? I'm used to the state system where siblings tend to go to school together rather than offering each one a more bespoke solution.
allyNW3

Post by allyNW3 »

Not an issue that mine all go to different schools as they each make their way there and back independently. I also went to state schools and have taught in many; perhaps I have overly catered to the individual need because of my background in teaching!!

I honestly haven’t found Channjnh stale. Relaxed but not stale. It has more of a following than you might expect (it’s not the school I teach at by the way so I’m not defending it in that basis). The Head is an inspirational leader who does things her own way. I like her but understand that some applicants don’t like her style. She doesn’t have any problems getting the applicants in and, as I’ve said before, many have turned down places at City, SHHS, Habs, Highgate etc. to be there. It’s perhaps changed in the past three years or so and will change again now that less external (non-Fairseat) places are available for year 7 (only 30 places available for external candidates this year which explains why they are not marketing themselves with open days etc).

Anyway, lots of great schools but none are perfect!
MHM

Post by MHM »

Thanks all, offers mornings this week & certainly feeling lucky to be given such great choices.

Which is your favourite school as a parent AllyNW3?
allyNW3

Post by allyNW3 »

For me they each have strengths and weaknesses. I am a big supporter of Channing which, in my view, gains incredible results for quite a low-pressured environment (compared to some of the others). However, it would be undeniably too low-pressured for some, so for a child that likes the heat beneath them and lots of competition then Habs or SHHS are both incredible schools. Well done to your daughter!
Elma

Post by Elma »

@MHM hope you don’t mind me asking but what did you decide in the end and what helped you come to a final decision?
MHM

Post by MHM »

Hi Elma, we went with SHHS but it was a hard decision. Journey was a factor v FHS but in the end we felt SHHS was a better fit for DD. Also the school felt more modern (not in terms of buildings but outlook), less old school tie, more science, DT & tech than the others. Not sure if that is what DD will do but would like her to have the option. But there were plenty of things about the others we liked. Think also the interviews influenced DD’S views about where would suit. She enjoyed the one with the Head at FHS, who made them roll the dice to pick questions which was more quirky than at Channing where everyone was asked about siblings. The Offer mornings were definitely more relaxed and we enjoyed them and asked more specific questions about things which we were bothered about. I think someone else said Channing loses out a bit by not having one - may not need one of course but don’t think their offers exploded as quickly this time as they contacted us 10/12 days after and it seemed like it was still available.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now