Queen Anne’s Caversham versus Leighton Park?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mm23292

Queen Anne’s Caversham versus Leighton Park?

Post by mm23292 »

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the above schools. We are looking at schools for year 7 entry for our daughter. Recommendations from current school should we not go GS route..are Queen Anne’s or WA. Boarding not an option, and WA fees are uncomfortably out of our league. Unlikely to qualify for bursary, so would welcome any discounts by way scholarship, if possible. If anyone has info on the above schools, would love to hear. Have visited both, love both fir different reasons. LA pupils seemed a little less pristine..but were delightful and engaging when showing us around. QA girls seemed hugely confident, articulate and enthusiastic about their school. QA seems academically strong, LA perhaps less so...?
mad?

Re: Queen Anne’s Caversham versus Leighton Park?

Post by mad? »

My experiences are probably not recent enough to be relevant but I would have thought the key difference here would be Co-ed V single gender? LP has in the past had an excellent reputation for pastoral care and SEN, but as I say my info is not up to date. If you are looking at day school, I would consider the percentage of non boarders there are. LP Certainly used to be largely boarding.
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Leighton Park isn’t selective as such (despite having an entrance exam), but I think Queen Anne’s is, but not as much as say the Abbey maybe (not sure).

I have a colleague with a boy at LP as a day student (not boarding) but I don’t know what the ratio is. Worth asking them if it’s an issue. Day Students can stay until quite late and have tea there. I believe (as Mad as mentioned) the pastoral/SEN care is excellent, but that is hearsay.

My former boss sent his DD to QA, but she left some time ago. He was happy with it at the time. Not many people from my side of Reading would consider QA as Caversham is a pain to get to in rush hour. Those looking at private schools, would go for Abbey, St Joes, blue coats or LP. St Joes may be worth a look if you haven’t already, also supposed to quite a nurturing school and I know several people with children there and happy with it. (Also fees are less than the others).

Crosfields is changing and going up to 16, so maybe worth of considering.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I know two QA alumnae, both bright and articulate (and, for that matter, both in socially useful occupations :) ) both seem to have enjoyed their time there. However, one left in the late 1970s and the other in the mid-1960s, so it is possible that the school has changed a bit since their time.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Thank you for feedback. I understand QA is more selective, pre test and CE, not sure how attainable scholarship might be, we have been told we should include data on ability scores etc from the beginning..just to give a subtle heads up.
LP has it’s own entrance exam, but I have no idea how selective this is. Results suggest a broader intake, but the education offered, claims a broader, less conventional edge. Undoubtedly the school had an overriding vibe of zen, but whether this might be a little too zen..I really just don’t know!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

LP isn’t selective. However if your DD does well in the exam she may get invited back to sit a scholarship exam later (at least that’s what happened to my colleague’s son).

Whilst they take at 11, they also have quite an intake at 13.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now