MTS Waitinglist

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: MTS Waitinglist

Post by Daogroupie »

You would think there would be a lot of parents doing this but there really isn't.

Many are glad to have the decision made for them and accept another school without even bothering to come off the waiting list.

There are DC with multiple offers but each DC can only go to one school so lots of places are being given up. DG
MHM

Post by MHM »

DG/Others, this is really good advice, we are also waitlisted for a school we would really like at the moment. Is there anything else we can say apart from "keen and ready with cheque/electronic payment"?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Include in your email why the school is your first choice and why you want your child to go to the school.

Include a line from your child as to why they want to go to the school.

Someone I know personally wrote to the school they wanted with a reason why they wanted it for each letter of the school name.

They got an offer the next day. DG
isx99

Post by isx99 »

From a different perspective, the OP does need to be realistic. MT make 170 offers for 60 places. I know of a child last year who was on the waiting list for MT who wasn't offered as the school did not go to the waiting list. My understanding is that the school was oversubscribed the day after the acceptance deadline. Whether or not that changes the number of offers they have made this year; perhaps someone else who has applied this year could advise.

I would advise the OP to consider the offers which her child does have or the state school offer as a more realistic prospect. The sheer numbers of children applying to independent schools last year and this year have made it a totally different ball game.
miller

Post by miller »

Isx99 - I was thinking about this today as we have a number of friends on different waiting lists. Whereas I am aware that many children hold multiple offers and all these children can actually only go to one school, I have have been quite surprised with the huge numbers of children sitting for these schools, Highgate for example, had up to 900. Is this year particularly different to others? Is it a high birth rate year?

Interestingly, my DD’s primary would normally have a handful of children that sit for the Independents, however, I’ve realised lately that up to a third of the year group seem to have sat this year, which actually is nothing to do with a high birth rate, but more parental preference. I do wonder what has made this year different (if indeed it is)?
isx99

Post by isx99 »

I believe that the high birth rate is certainly one factor as reflected in the bulge year classes at primary schools, especially in London. The narrowing of the catchments for grammar schools is another; with some grammar school areas no longer being accessible to those in NW London, i.e Bucks, Berks etc. Moving isn't always an option for many families, so they have been turning to the independent sector. The problem here is that there are limited numbers of places at independent schools, especially for boys. Westminster take 25-28, St Paul's boys 18 at 11+ (although this will be changing with them no longer offering 10+ deferred places), MT 60.

My experience from many years ago applying to the independent sector was very different to how it is now. MT was seen at that time as a back up school for many; this is no longer the case. It is a very popular school with many having it as their first choice.
miller

Post by miller »

Very interesting perspective. I certainly agree that it is more difficult for boys, there does not seem to be the range of schools that are available to the girls. Certainly in DD’s class, it seems to be that many boys are on the WLs. As far as I am aware the girls have all received one offer at least, from a pool of NLCS, Habs, the Consortium, Belmont, St Margaret’s, St Albans and other smaller schools. The idea of a ‘back up’ seems to have dissipated somewhat.

The state allocations have yet to come, which hopefully, will release some places to those that are waiting for a preferred school.
isx99

Post by isx99 »

Traditionally for the boys' independent schools, their main intake has been at 13+, as this is when the prep schools finish. 11+ has mainly been for state primary pupils but at a much lower number. Girls' preps typically end at 11+; hence the greater number of places for girls at independent secondary schools.

I also noticed that last year the boys were the ones, who if not successful in gaining a place at QE for example, found it difficult to gain places at an independent school. Some parents found that they had underestimated how difficult it is and felt that they had not applied to enough independent schools. Conversely there were parents applying to as many as 10 independent schools, to be only successful at gaining one or two offers. Also many found that starting tuition after the grammar school results came out, whereas once this would have been enough to be successful, it simply wasn't enough to compete with those children who had been intensively tutored since at least year 3. The level of competition fuelled by the sheer numbers applying has become ridiculous. Independent schools have their pick of pupils and can afford to be very choosy about who they give offers to.
Helpneeded

Post by Helpneeded »

It’s certainly tough but the independents are still a much easier numbers game than the N London grammars. My DS didn’t get a place at QE or Latymer but has 2 offers for independents.
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

Helpneeded wrote:It’s certainly tough but the independents are still a much easier numbers game than the N London grammars. My DS didn’t get a place at QE or Latymer but has 2 offers for independents.
They don't seem to be much easier anymore - 2000 sitting for 186 places at Latymer & 900 for 80 places at Highgate....there's really not much in it!