SHH vs CLSG

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MrsCal

SHH vs CLSG

Post by MrsCal »

how do these two schools compare? I like city more, but I keep hearing about the pressure and how dry it is, and would love to know more. Apparently it’s not the parents or the school pressurising the girls, but the girls pressurising themselves and I’m not sure that’s a great thing at all?

Does CLSG weed out girls if they have more than 3 Bs at their GCSEs? What does this even mean? that the student won’t be making 6th form there? If that is all, then it’s surely fine right? Or is there any more “weeding” happening at any point?

We have an offer from SHH and might have to decide in a few hours (if we’re so lucky to get an offer from city) Our daughter is great at STEM, a tiny bit wacky and wants learning to be fun but she’s also nerdy and sensible, and she is academic. In terms of interests she is more into arts than sport or music. She is confident, but not fierce. Both schools are easy to reach for us, and if you’d put me on the spot I’d say we’re a “city family” rather than a Hampstead family.
MrsMoll

Re: SHH vs CLSG

Post by MrsMoll »

We have a daughter in year 9 at CLSG and have been extremely happy with the school. She works hard in a challenging and stimulating environment which is definitely not ‘dry’. She comes from a state primary as do many of her friends and we are happy with the more diverse environment than other private schools - with girls from many different backgrounds and from all parts of London. We had a similar choice to make at 11plus and don’t regret our decision at all.
pp1234

Post by pp1234 »

MrsMoll have you or anyone heard from CLSG with the 11+results yet? Any idea what time the emails are coming out?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Last year they came out quite late in the day.

Mrsmoll, do you have any idea of the percentage of City girls that come from state primary?

I think it would be much higher than St Pauls and NLCS as in my experience they have always been a lot more welcoming and they have a taster day for state schools girls only which is a lovely touch.

Our experience with City girls was 100% positive and our associations with many girls we know there have continued to be so onwards into Unversity.

I do not recognise the "dry" description some girls are quite serious. DG
Londonmummy

Post by Londonmummy »

Can anyone shed some light into SEN provisions at CLGS and SHHS. I know from reading an old school report SHHS has very few students with SEN but curious if its worse at City? Any insight greatly appreciated
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Unless CLSG has a new SENCO, avoid!!!!!
MrsMoll

Post by MrsMoll »

The SENCO at CLSG is a lovely approachable woman who operates a study clinic that is always open if girls have particular problems or are worried at all about their studies.
Londonmummy

Post by Londonmummy »

Wow, that is two very divert views. Hi Shooting, could you let me know why you feel so strongly please. Also, are we talking about the same senco??
Dadofmytwo

Post by Dadofmytwo »

shootmenow wrote:Unless CLSG has a new SENCO, avoid!!!!!
I think it is only right and fair to parents and DCs try into make an important decision that Shootmenow declares whether she has a DD at CLSG. If the comments about the SENCO were based on her experience of CLSG prep quite a few years ago they are unlikely to be valid now.

DD is in year 10 at CLSG. She came from a small state primary and was not heavily tutored to get in. She had an academic wobble in years 8 and 9 where she was struggling to manage her time that was token up with high level sport, music and her studies.

A combination of fatigue, loss of confidence and inefficient study skills meant that her expected grades were slipping. The school could not have been more supportive. She was able access support and counselling in the study skills centre with one-to-one sessions on effective revision techniques for a whole term.

She is now much more confident with excellent grades on homework and tests. The assistant head of the senior school wrote to us last term to say how delighted they were with DD's progress as she had been singled out for commendation in multiple subjects.

This was a lovely way to follow up on the interventions that had been out in place in years 8 and 9.

My experience of the current SENCO is totally favourable.
Londonmummy

Post by Londonmummy »

Thank you Dad for sharing your experience. It is very difficult to decide the right school for my dyslexic daughter and always welcome feedback whether good or bad, as its the only way to really get to grips with how its really like at these schools.