11+ online exam practice sites?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FAC51

Re: 11+ online exam practice sites?

Post by FAC51 »

When the Consortium first announced the change of format, they did say that the test would be computerised. But insufficient computing facilities at some of the schools meant that they stuck with paper for time being.

At least, that’s what they said at one of the open days.

OP, the ISEB pretest is run by GL, so you may struggle to find a single website that covers both formats to a high enough quality.
Elma

Post by Elma »

If your DD is doing the consortium then I’d strongly suggest that she gets practise on actual CEM style papers, particularly regarding how you put your answers in the right boxes on the answer sheets as a number of girls got caught out by this. The CEM style papers you can buy on here are very good for that and much harder than the actual consortium paper. My DD found the consortium paper very easy compared to the practise she had done. She just did a couple of these practise papers in the weeK before the exam. In the longer run up we found the 10 minute CGP books of the CRM tests very helpful. You can dip into those literally for just 10 mins so it doesn’t become too much or overwhelming and helps familiarise with the method. We didn’t have tutoring or a prep school other than some of these practise papers, and she did very well in the exams.
Elma

Post by Elma »

Actually I just checked and the 11plus CEM practise paper that was really helpful and at a more advanced level than the consortium test was from *****edited by moderator
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

CEm is the format that responds best to preparation which is very ironic as CEM themselves touted it as non tutorable and the Consortium announced they had chosen a non tutorable format.

I had the same feedback that the Consortium test was a lot easier than the published CEM style papers and the timing was generous.

It is the opposite for the state school CEM tests, the exam papers are a lot harder but this is not your concern as you will not be taking any of those.

edited by moderator DG
Elma

Post by Elma »

Think my last reply got moderated because I gave the *****website that have a very good CEM programme and papers DD found helpful. It’s easy to find if you do a search
Elma

Post by Elma »

Think my last reply got moderated because I gave the ***** website that have a very good CEM programme and papers DD found helpful. It’s easy to find if you do a search.

I don’t think CEM is tutorable as it’s not really something that needs to be taught. But a bit of practise on the type of questions and technique definitely helped. I think the problem with thinking the consortium test reduces pressure is the fact that presumably most girls are taking exams for other schools than just consortium. So as well as doing some CEM practise, they will also need to practise for those other types of paper too that will require a different kind of technique.
Angelface1234

Post by Angelface1234 »

Thanks Elma, that's helpful. I'm mostly concerned about verbal and non-verbal reasoning. I think this is something DD and DS should be able to get better at with practice though - identifying the different styles of questions and learning how to deal with the time pressure. VR and NVR will be in the London Consortium for DD and the ISEB pre-test for DS.

Actual website recommendations appear to keep getting moderated (not very helpful!) but in case this doesn't DS has a Edited by moderator account through his school although they're finishing with it soon to move to another platform. DS seemed to spot patterns in questions on his Edited by moderator account so we'd test him on the same subject in other ways and he wouldn't have a clue! DS's school is moving to Edited by moderator and I wonder if anyone has any experience using the site before we purchase? We want something they can both use over the Easter hols.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Apologies if it doesn't seem helpful, but please see forum rule number 6
The forum cannot be seen to appear to endorse other websites, which may be of unknown quality. Any recommendations by pm please, but please treat all recommendations with caution.

We try to be careful and don’t allow recommendations of websites and materials we have no knowledge about or know to be sub standard.
scary mum
Elma

Post by Elma »

I’m a bit confused because people seem to be able to post about other websites like moderated for consistency and mention companies that do similar like CGP and Bond, but when I mentioned *** where my DD found the paper helpful it is moderated. Perhaps there are only certain ones that this forum endorses

Please see above
Angelface1234

Post by Angelface1234 »

Sorry but I am a little confused too. If multiple schools are subscribing to a platform then I think parents should know about it / the platform I mentioned is also on the Galore Park website who are the ISEB endorsed publishers so don't know why it was deleted.