QE Boys test scores asked at Indie interviews?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MayKat80

QE Boys test scores asked at Indie interviews?

Post by MayKat80 »

Hi All,
We are planning on sitting my son for the QE Boys test in Sept 2019. We are also sitting him for a couple of private schools as backup. I was recently told by someone to be cautious of sitting him for QE if sitting private school exams as they ask your QE test scores if you get to their interview stage? Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of that? In my opinion it shouldn't matter even if they do ask as your child has cleared the test for their particular private school, but does anyone feel it might affect a childs chances for getting in to the Indie school? Any insight, knowledge, experience is appreciated. Thanks.
Tinkers

Re: QE Boys test scores asked at Indie interviews?

Post by Tinkers »

I seem to remember some parents mentioning this in previous years. I suspect schools are trying to gauge how serious the application is or how likely you are to want/need/take up a place. Some indies will also ask what other schools you’ve applied to, for similar reasons.

They might possibly use it as a gauge alongside their own admissions tests.
miller

Post by miller »

I’ve only heard of Habs boys doing this, I might be wrong though. My friends DS was asked at his Habs interview this year but not at the other Indies he sat. He did get asked which other schools he had sat for, think that is quite standard.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is something that Habs boys do in their interview as these two schools are very close to each other geographically so boys tend to sit both and a high score at QE tells Habs if this boy is going to have a choice of school.

I certainly would not let it put you off applying.

It is just one data point among many.

DG
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

The Habs Head of Yr 7 is a former QE teacher, and she delights in asking for QE scores in a group interview setting!

But don't worry, a handful of boys from DS' prep got offers from Habs - some had high QE scores and others were relatively low.
MayKat80

Post by MayKat80 »

Ahh Okay. Thanks everyone for your responses. Makes sense. Its a daunting and confusing process for first time parents and there is so much 11+ banter and heresay that you need some clarity sometimes.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now