Is ISEB pre-test CEM based?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Excel

Is ISEB pre-test CEM based?

Post by Excel »

1st time we are going through this process and I seem to be getting conflicting information regarding the ISEB pre-test that is required for some of the top boys independents in Yr 6. Is it GL or CEM based please?

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Is ISEB pre-test CEM based?

Post by scary mum »

I'm afraid I don't know anything about it, but this page suggests that it is set by GL.
scary mum
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

They are GL Assessment, not CEM

"The Common Pre-Tests are taken when a pupil is in Year 6 or Year 7 and are an age-standardised measure of ability and attainment. They are commissioned from GL Assessment and are online and adaptive. The tests include Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning, English and Mathematics. They are in a multiple-choice format and take about two-and-a-half hours to complete;"

https://www.iseb.co.uk/Examinations-Ass ... -Pre-Tests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

We’ve recently received pre-test notification for one of our daughter’s registered schools, and they are using CEM. Looks like some use it, but not all?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

mm23292 wrote:We’ve recently received pre-test notification for one of our daughter’s registered schools, and they are using CEM. Looks like some use it, but not all?
Are you sure that this school is using ISEB? It seems very unlikely that ISEB would state that their pre test had been commissioned by GL and then accept CEM!

https://www.iseb.co.uk/getmedia/74a04c0 ... s.pdf.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Common Pre-Tests are taken when a pupil is in Year 6 or Year 7 and are an age-standardised measure of ability and attainment. They are commissioned from GL Assessment and are online and adaptive. The tests include Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning, English and Mathematics. They are in a multiple-choice format and take about two-and-a-half hours to complete; the tests can be taken together or at separate times either in the candidate's own school or at the senior school for which he or she is entered.
Not all schools will be using ISEB to select candidates.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Mitasol, yes the timetable states pre-assessment is October and is CEM based, and ISEB CE in January..I’m assuming they can choose whatever pre-assessment they prefer.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I think we are talking at cross purposes here. I agree it is up to each school to decide which, if any, pre-test to use. It sounds like your school has chosen a CEM pre-test. The OP asked specifically about the ISEB pre-test which is unequivocally a GL commissioned assessment.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Thank you Mitasol, yes the ISEB pre-test version is GL based, there are just some CE required schools, such as Wycombe Abbey &
Queen Annes, which seem to use CEM to pre-test instead. Would be interesting to know why, have no idea about the format/content of either!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now