scholarship awards

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kim123

scholarship awards

Post by Kim123 »

My daughter has been in her independent school for 2 years and has just sat the 11+. I did look at one other school for seniors but received telephone call from the Head at present school to say that she would be expected to get a scholarship from the 11+. She is a very anxious girl and has suffered panic attacks, hence reason for moving her to this school. 11+ results have not offered her any form of scholarship. She is a very bright child doing exceptionally well but when it comes down to exam situations her old anxious feelings reappear. I am now thinking of speaking to the Headteacher to find out if I can appeal against this decision. Lots of girls of similar ability in her year have been offered part scholarships. I would hold my hands up if i thought she was not of that ability but feel strongly that this is not the case. Any advice?
fusspot99

Post by fusspot99 »

I had something similar happen with my daughter.
I cannot speak for your daughter's school, but as far as independent schols are concerned is not only bums on seats but league tables.
My daughter has been in her school since she was 7 and was told off the record that she was wasting her time sitting the scholarship exam because those scholarships are used to attract new pupils into secondary school and that she would have to be completely outstanding to even stand a chance.
In the end she did sit the exam and did go through to the interview stage, but was not offered even a token offering.
I did go and see the head and said they had requested she sit the scholarship and that she was now completely dejected and I felt she had not been fairly treated. I was concerened that I would now not be able to motivate her.
She now now in year 10 and we have just had parents eveninf where they have prediucted all A's and A*'s for her GCSE's.

Reason for long windede story-it did take her around 18 months before she started focusing again. But it has made her stronger and more determined.