St Albans School Interview before the test

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hopingforsuccess

St Albans School Interview before the test

Post by Hopingforsuccess »

St Albans school has confirmed that the boys will have a short chat/interview on the day of their test. They have also confirmed that the boys will participate in a group activity. The day of test more or less looks like a whole school day event at St Albans.

As I am very new to all this, I will be very grateful if the experienced members/parents can shed some light on what to expect on the day and how can I prepare my DS for this.

Thanking in advance,

Hopingforsuccess (literally!)
Daogroupie

Re: St Albans School Interview before the test

Post by Daogroupie »

This is the format they have followed successfully for sometime.

All the boys I know of who have applied have really enjoyed both the interview and the group activity.

I suggest you ask a friend or relative to do a mock interview with him to prepare him.

He just needs to have opinions on things and talk about his interests and hobbies such as Sports and Music.

He needs to be reading a challenging book and be able to discuss it and why he likes or dislikes it.

They are looking for active citizens of the world who have something to say about the world they live in.

He also needs to know about the school and be passionate about becoming a student there. DG
Hopingforsuccess

Post by Hopingforsuccess »

Thank you very much for your response Daogroupie! Your inputs are always very valuable.

My DS is not into music at the moment but he is very much interested in learning an instrument now. I am encouraging him to admit this in the interview that he would really like to learn an instrument. DS is a keen swimmer. He enjoys reading a variety of books.

He is currently reading Sherlock Holmes and it took some persuasion for him to pick this book but he really enjoys it now.

Would you be able to advise what to expect in the group activity?

What kind of questions shall we practise in mock sessions with family?
Londonb

Post by Londonb »

Joining forum late so first exams over now but from a couple of years ago they would have been asked amongst other things about interests particularly anything unusual or that stands out. It’s really an opportunity for the child to talk and assess their ability to string a sentence together rather than academic ability. The interviewing teachers are friendly. Remember, it’s after a gruelling day of written papers so they’re not going to ask anything too taxing. Looking for personable and articulate boys I think.

If you were called for the second assessment in the past you’re virtually guaranteed an offer. Not sure if this still applies.