Independent school advice

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fedup

Re: Independent school advice

Post by Fedup »

It is tricky but I know my son will work hard and do well wherever he goes.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have they shared subject level results at GCSE and A level? If not, then ask for them -

[By 'subject level' I mean a table of each subject showing how many got each grade]
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

I don’t know this particular school, but I will say we have successfully navigated the independent school process twice..and have thankfully ignored the red-flag comments that abounded are the time, and the league table negativity which all suggested we should be looking elsewhere. Thankfully we didn’t, and the outcomes were far better than the grammar grade averages we turned down for 6th form. We are also about to do it again, with a very bright child who we have no doubt will do well wherever she is, but where our instinct tell us this is the place that feels right for her. We have neither seen nor requested a breakdown of results, and feel there is far more to a school than this. I know so many children who have attended good league-table schools, chosen by their parents as if some guarantee that their children would fare the same...only for them to leave with very average outcomes. We also know many children who have attended ‘average performing’ schools, and do very well indeed. You know your child best, so my advice would be to trust your instincts.
Fedup

Post by Fedup »

Thank you for your comments. I feel a child will do well wherever they are as long as they are happy and have a supportive network around them. Parents have different expectations and perceptions. We have decided to take the independent route particularly because the state school has no result history. Thanks again everyone.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now