Stockport Grammar and Manchester High School for Girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ouflak

Stockport Grammar and Manchester High School for Girls

Post by ouflak »

I noticed these schools aren't talked about much on this forum, so wanted to give a little mention. Our DD just got offers for these schools. Stockport was specific to state that it was a fee-paying placement. MHSG didn't say anything other than the offer and congrats. I believe Stockport is an exploding offer, but we will decide long before that is a concern.

We were fairly confident after the interviews for both of these schools. Before the interview, and after the tests, our DD really liked Stockport. Afterwords, she was a bit more either way as Manchester High managed to impress her. I made sure she understood that she was interviewing them as well as being interviewed, and that she would not be forced to go to a school that she did not like.

We are fairly confident that she will get into a well-performing local state school. And we are likely to be offered for a CoE school (Trinity). So she's got a decision to make.....
kenyancowgirl

Re: Stockport Grammar and Manchester High School for Girls

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Is Stockport not a popular school then? Exploding offers usually means that they overoffer and once the number of people who accept reaches the number of spaces they have, the offer disappears. I know in some areas in London, that effectively means you have to accept the same day.

I would urge you to make your decisions before National Allocation Day, so you know what you are going to do on March 2nd. There will be many families who do not have the luxury of being able to afford private school and will be desperate for a state school place - it would be awful if parents held onto offers longer than necessary if it menat releasing a state school place to someone who would be very happy to take it.
ouflak

Re: Stockport Grammar and Manchester High School for Girls

Post by ouflak »

So we (well DD) decided on Stockport Grammar. It's not a big surprise. I believe she will do well there. It's not as fiercely competitive as MHSG I think, but it is competive and should give her exposure to other children who as clever as she is and match that with self-motivation. Now onto to SATS, which are apparently used to 'rank' the children as they enter high school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now