Mill Hill School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

goinggreyfast

Mill Hill School

Post by goinggreyfast »

We have a place at Mill Hill/Belmont which we are minded to accept for my son. But he will need to go on the tube and I had a sudden panic about how that works in practice. They have to get the tube to Mill Hill East then the 240 bus... but do they actually manage to get onto the bus as there must be hundreds of them? Does it work?
Any other experience/impressions of the school also most helpful.
Thanks
nylon14

Re: Mill Hill School

Post by nylon14 »

They also have a school bus.
goinggreyfast

Post by goinggreyfast »

Thanks - yes I had seen that, not from anywhere near us though unfortunately. Tube or maybe Thameslink are the only options for us.
Londonb

Post by Londonb »

Had relatives children at school and they were disappointed with the academic standards. If your child is bright they will coast there and are unlikely to reach full potential. Supposedly a sporty school but never excel at that either compared to other ones.
Also, they noticed the parents who made large donations tended to be treated preferentially when it came to fishing out end of year student awards.
nyr

Post by nyr »

My family are and have been at Belmont / Mill Hill, having left NLCS at age 11 or not getting into Habs Boys and similar schools at age 7 (initially at Grimsdell if I remember correctly). Their academic achievements and university destination are or will be clearly set apart from other family members who left NLCS and Latymer after Y13. In fairness, the differing outcomes are reflective of where the children were academically when they entered their schools.

I would say the Mill Hill 2 enjoy(ed) their time there and they often talk of lockdowns and other similar incidents, obviously for dramatic effect but nevertheless real. I get the impression the boarders help to create some of the more exciting atmosphere.

After the first 2 children's experiences at Mill Hill, the parents decided to send their other 2 children to local non-selectives and use fees saved on extra-curricular activites and private tuition, to prop up any shortcomings in the state sector.
Last edited by nyr on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Actually, I think child 3 was at Grimsdell and was pulled out and placed in the state sector. Being somewhat older, the first 2 were left in the Belmont / Mill Hill system in order to avoid disruption to their education.
Eliza7

Post by Eliza7 »

Just as an alternative perspective, I have a relative and friend's children currently at Mill Hill. They are happy and thriving. They have a good set of friends, lots of opportunities for extra-curricular activities and sport, and for them the happy and slightly more relaxed atmosphere is conducive to enjoying their work and progressing. On the journey side, they get the tube and it doesn't seem to be a problem getting on the bus - I've heard the bus at the end of the day can be quite packed but I think kids are very adaptable and quickly learn how to manage it. Congratulations on the place, and best of luck with your decision!
guesswho

Post by guesswho »

OP, Congratulations to your DC. I am sure they will be very happy at Belmont/Mill Hill. I am sorry that some people seem to think it is a St Trinians parody of a school. This isn't my experience at all. I have a son at Belmont and the education is really wonderful. As are the facilities, teaching, and co-curricular opportunties. Pastoral care is great and my son has lovely friends . We all know it is not as selective as Habs or St Pauls as the last poster kindly pointed out. But it offers an excellent education and finds the passion and talent in every student. Don't let people rain on your parade. It's a great school!
goinggreyfast

Post by goinggreyfast »

Thanks for all your comments, especially the more cheery ones. For me it’s not necessarily about the results at the end, but about the richness of the experience itself so co-curricular is super important. Having been to a school which topped the league tables myself I’ve seen too many times the impact a school intent on preserving its macro level results can have on the individual. Happily I came out of it pretty well but saw others suffer terrible self esteem and mental health issues for decades after. Slightly off topic sorry - thanks for MHS advice!
guesswho

Post by guesswho »

I couldn't agree more. They are a long time in school so it feels sad to focus on the final exam results as the only marker of success. The breadth and creativity of curriculum at Mill Hill is second to none. The academic DCs do as well as they would at any other "more academic" school but with less pressure and others find skills and talents they never knew they had!