Where you live?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SnowballMum

Where you live?

Post by SnowballMum »

Does anyone here know whether where you live in London has an impact on admissions? I am considering schools for my child that are located in West or Central London. We currently live in South East. Does this have an impact on school's decision making process?
mad?

Re: Where you live?

Post by mad? »

Where you live does not form part of the admissions criteria of any London Indue that I can think of. However, assuming DC does well common sense would dictate that they would want some understanding of the situation before making an offer. Are you planning to move?
mad?
SnowballMum

Post by SnowballMum »

We may move to make the commute easier.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Irrespective of the schools' decision I would recommend this. Indies tend to involve and expect considerable commitment outside of normal school hours and would be very difficult for a child with a commute. In my experience no exception would be made for a DC living far away, but perhaps more importantly it would place a considerable burden on DC as well. Luckily though you can decide where to move to once you have decided on a school (hopefully given the choice!). Good luck.
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

To be fair, here are places in south east London with direct trains into e.g. Blackfriars (for City) or Victoria (for Westminster) from where it would be quicker and easier to commute in than to trek 'sideways' across an outer area, so to speak. Something like Mottongham to St Paul's, however, just no.... Whether or not the school employed postcode discrimination.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Some schools such as St Pauls Girls actually ask you to specify if you live more than one hour away and if you do will you be moving if you are offered a place.

Schools don't want exhausted students falling asleep in lessons because their commute is so long. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now