Aldenham School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

1503ace

Aldenham School

Post by 1503ace »

Hello, We are considering this school for our DD -11+ entry. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this school? Im interested to know particularly how girls find it as I believe the intake is 70% boys. Thank you.
mad?

Re: Aldenham School

Post by mad? »

There has been some discussion about Aldenham in the past. Have a look at the threads provided here here
Via hearsay parents with DDs and DSs have been very happy, it has a good reputation from pastoral care form what I have heard, albeit my information is a good few years old. Good luck.
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I have a friend whose daughter left 6th form last summer. They were extremely happy with it, having moved her from another independent school where she had been very unhappy.
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is a great school.

I know some of the staff who are passionate about helping their students and I know some of the students who are really happy there. Can't go wrong here. It is easier to get into than Habs, MT, St Albans or City. DG
mad?

Post by mad? »

Daogroupie wrote: It is easier to get into than Habs, MT, St Albans or City. DG
Ummm depending on where one lives surely?
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I mean it is easier to pass the Aldenham exam. DG
mad?

Post by mad? »

Daogroupie wrote:I mean it is easier to pass the Aldenham exam. DG
Agreed DG, I misinterpreted your post, apologies.
mad?
Almostover

Post by Almostover »

I’d recommend to check their GCSE results. While not the only indicator, it’s definitely an important one when selecting a school. When I looked a couple of years ago, it took me a while to find these on their website and when I finally managed, I think it was something like 35-40% (total average) of what currently is grade 7-9.

City, Habs, Highgate, MTS are all over 90%.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Almostover wrote:I’d recommend to check their GCSE results. While not the only indicator, it’s definitely an important one when selecting a school. When I looked a couple of years ago, it took me a while to find these on their website and when I finally managed, I think it was something like 35-40% (total average) of what currently is grade 7-9.

City, Habs, Highgate, MTS are all over 90%.
Something to do with it being easier to get into, perhaps? Not that an average of 35-40% grades 7 - 9 marks it down completely as the exclusive playground of Tim Nice-But-Dim and his relatives, but even they have to go somewhere and by the sound of things, the school has qualities to suit the DC of parents who are generally looking for somewhere other than an academic hothouse?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Almostover

Post by Almostover »

Haha - yes, indeedy. Although it’s a bit of “chicken/egg” dilemma - 35%-40% because easier to get into or easier to get into because it’’s 35-40%. I stay corrected on the numbers, actually, 2018 and 2019 GCSEs are 31.8% and 31.1% respectively (dug them out of the prospectus on the website).

Too big of a difference between “hothoused” 90+% and 31+%. They compare these to the national average, but they are private school, so frankly I’d save my money and go local state school (which is likely to have similar or better results!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now