IGCSEs??

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Tipsy - I'm not sure. I shall try to find out.
Guest55 - right. I can see that that could be the alternative argument! Oh dear...I suppose you either get criticism of coursework (that children can cheat) or you have the opposite argument against rote learning...
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

I disagree with the IGCSE being purely rote learning. The questions being asked in the exam need a level of understanding and lateral thinking that rote learning could not provide. The IGCSE has more standing with Oxbridge so that says it all really. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Evidence of your statement? I'm a teacher and I know admissions tutors at both Oxford and Cambridge - they do not look at what type of GCSEs were sat!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Good, at least if admissions tutors don't look it won't matter too much either way!
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

I have many friends who are dons and admission tutors at Oxford and a few at Cambridge and over a glass of wine they are generally not quite so pc. I am not a teacher but I come from a family of teachers who work in the state sector and they think the GCSE is a joke and does not prepare them for A'level, and many kids starting A'level make mention of the fact that the GCSE did nothing to help them to prepare and the jump to A'level was a shock.

Ed's mum - I'm trying to behave :twisted:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good teaching at GCSE can and does prepare for A level - thousands of teachers manage it year after year and see their pupils go in to achieve high grades at A level too. Please don't assume Private schools have the best teachers - the most inspirational teaching I have seen has been in the state sector.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Tipsy, I'm reeling you back in!! :roll:
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

Guest55 - no one said that private school teachers were the best. I think my family of state school teachers are amazing, and I think that many state school teachers are fed upwith the harder job that the governments giving them through increased class sizes, lack of parental discipline, and by the government constantly over-loading them with initiative after initiative. I don't think private schools are better because of the teachers but because if you're paying to send your kid there then its in your best interest to make sure your child toes the line and works hard - and before I get another fifty rants, I do think a lot of parents at state school are the same, but we all know many are not, and teachers have to deal with a mixed bag.

I have never criticised a state school teacher once, just certain exams tat are being taught at the governments whims.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I say again that IGCSEs are not designed for schools in this country - few Private schools do them and many reject them - it's nothing to do with the Government either as QCA govern which examinations are set.

In my opinion your posts imply that you think that 'private is best' -
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

No, my post implies IGCSE' s are best :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now