Alleyns or Dulwich College?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Wapping8

Alleyns or Dulwich College?

Post by Wapping8 »

I'm looking for advice on on Alleyns and Dulwich College. I know the exam formats for both have changed this year, but does anyone have a feel for which is usually more difficult to get a place? For example, this year they are both using ISEB for reasoning - which one would required the higher standard? Maybe there is someone on here who's son was offered a place at one but not the other.

Maybe the answer is to apply for both.

I'm not asking for myself - but a family I'm trying to help, but who don't have any experience and confidence in navigating the schools admissions process.

Thanks all - time is short for application deadlines.
Daogroupie

Re: Alleyns or Dulwich College?

Post by Daogroupie »

Apply for both. You can only do the ISEB once so they can do it at either school. I am a huge fan of Alleyns and really enjoyed going to their 400th anniversary lectures last year especially the word on Germany by the Head.

However I hear great things about Dulwich too. Sit both and go for personal preference. DG
nylon14

Post by nylon14 »

I would assume that for a boy, given that Alleyns is coed, it might be slightly more difficult to get into simply based on the number of applicants. 70 boys join in year 7 at Dulwich and Alleyns has 100 new joiners, 50 of which will be boys. But as previously stated, both are doing the ISEB, so you might as well just apply to both.
fleurdelacourt

Post by fleurdelacourt »

As already said there are about 50 places for boys joining Alleyns and 70 at Dulwich.

Alleyns (usually) have a policy of inviting every child above a certain level from the entrance exam and then choosing kids who they feel are the right fit. Traditionally they might have been perceived to have been the more quirky/arty/confident kids.

Dulwich on the other hand tend to stick to the higher academic achievers. And again the perception might be that they go for the more alpha male, sporty kids.

Both schools have generous scholarship and bursary programmes.

Clearly neither stereotype is accurate. There are sporty/geeky/arty kids in every schoo, and both schools are big enough for any kid to find their niche.

The cultures of the schools are very different though - Dulwich is a traditional boys public school with a strong emphasis on participation and educating the whole child.

Alleyns typically gets better results (it is co ed though so don't read too much into that). It has a smaller site but a big personality.

No bad choice - just down to whatever suits the child and family you are talking about.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now