CEM Pre-test v ISEB

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SWmum09

CEM Pre-test v ISEB

Post by SWmum09 »

Does anybody know how hard this is? We are looking at Downe House and it seems to be the only school using the CEM Entry Pretest for this group - the others use the ISEB. How do the scores compare between the two and what are the differences?

Any other insight into the types of scores needed for the school would be very welcome. Thank you.
mad?

Re: CEM Pre-test v ISEB

Post by mad? »

Would you like to move your post to the independent school section? It might be more likely to get noticed by someone who might know the answer to your question if it is there?
mad?
SWmum09

Post by SWmum09 »

Thank you! I am new at this!
mad?

Post by mad? »

No worries, I moved it so I have removed your other post to avoid duplication. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question but good luck!
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

CEM is not hard but requires preparation as the format is new to most. Scores improve very quickly and in my experience DCs edited by moderator really enjoy the format. DG
Mumof32018

Post by Mumof32018 »

Hi DG

My son is sitting the entrance assessment at Belmont Mill Hill which is now an online CEM select test. Are there any websites/online mocks you would recommend that we can use to prepare him?

P.S. - He sat the DAO exam as well (you commented on some of the other messages I posted on this forum) and only scored 94 (rank 623) so did not get into the top 325. I haven't told him yet as I know it will shake his confidence as it has mine. Just very surprised as he would routinely score 73/74 out of 80 on the GL past papers and he didn't find the exam too bad although he said that he guessed quite a few. He is a bright boy and in the top set for maths and second top for English at his state primary and we've tutored for the last 18 months but I guess that just isn't enough. I am wondering where we go from here as he is due to sit Highgate, Belmont, Forest etc in the next few months and I am wondering if he has much of a chance given his score at DAO.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

He has a great chance.

Remember that the goal of the DAO first round is to get rid of applicants so they don't have to mark too many English and Maths papers.

Only 32.5% of applicants got a place in the second round and he had a higher score than 377 of the applicants.

Sounds like he is strong in English and Maths which of course was not tested at all in the DAO first round.

Those are the key skills he needs for Highgate and Forest and CEM also has a strong English focus.

In your shoes I would focus on Comprehension. Does he like reading? DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now