NLCS numbers this year

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Justanothergirl

NLCS numbers this year

Post by Justanothergirl »

Does anybody know the numbers for this year? DD has just been invited for an interview so I was wondering what the odds were from here.
TIA
Daogroupie

Re: NLCS numbers this year

Post by Daogroupie »

NLCS always make their major cut before interview unlike HABS who do their cut at interview, so getting to interview at NLCS is a far bigger step than getting to interview at HABS.

With all the uncertainty about jobs it may well be that more students will take up state school offers and so more of those who reach interview will end up being offered a place. DG
Justanothergirl

Post by Justanothergirl »

Thank you DG for your prompt reply. Fingers crossed and good luck to all!
Johnwang

Post by Johnwang »

We also received the invitation to NLCS interviews. 30 minutes so it's going to be quite full-on...
Orangeblossom

Post by Orangeblossom »

There are some people who are lucky enough to have a secure job and find that without normal expenditures on holidays and eating out, they have increased savings and consider private schools now.
Orangeblossom

Post by Orangeblossom »

I have heard that NCLS have provided excellent provision of on-line learning as well. This is another factor I will be considering.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Orangeblossom wrote:There are some people who are lucky enough to have a secure job and find that without normal expenditures on holidays and eating out, they have increased savings and consider private schools now.
Very true - people are basically now divided into those who have much more than before and nothing to spend it on, those who are used to have a lot but that has no gone a and those who have never had much and now have less.

One thing to be aware of re independent schools is the viability - have heard of some long established schools who are noticing a dip in fee income as the number of people traditionally able to afford it drops. Schools often have a fairly tight margin and can't afford to lose many pupils without putting up the fees
nyr

Post by nyr »

For those not reaping the financial rewards of the pandemic and have a DD still in the running for a place at HBS, we have been very happy with the online teaching for Y10/Y11 (2019-2020 / 2020-2021) at the school.
no_stress

Post by no_stress »

@nyr that's good to hear - how happy have you been with the pastoral care, the atmosphere among the girls? Is it super competitive? Or would you describe the vibe between kids as friendly and supportive?
nyr

Post by nyr »

My DC have positive experience of schools in general, so I might not be the best person to ask. HBS has the feeling of being very small and caring. The girls are supportive but there will always be competition, wanting to get the best grades but most often it's internal. The girls are trying to do their very best. They are clever and industrious - in many endevours, not just in school subjects - with the school always encouraging them to aim high, though not pressuring them and always encourging consideration of mental health.

Back to NLCS. My guess is that most of these reflections would be true of a NLCS parent.