Habs or MTS. Moving at 11+ or 13+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ACupofTea

Habs or MTS. Moving at 11+ or 13+

Post by ACupofTea »

I was wondering if anyone can offer any thoughts / experience regarding the pro and cons of moving school at 11+ rather than 13+.

Background: DS is in private school now. Has the option (i.e. actual offers) of moving to Habs at 11 (this September) or MTS at 13 (September 2023). We (and he) like both schools and are all very conflicted. I am told that if he moves to Habs at 11+ he will benefit from 2 years of advanced exposure to most of the GCSE subjects the kids will need to choose from in year 9. That seems a great opportunity, particularly for someone like our DS who is good academically but takes a little time to adjust to big changes. On the other hand, we think it would be great for him to stay at his school until 13+ as we think his overall character (he can be quite sensitive) would benefit from being one of the older boys at a school he loves (and where he has a scholarship).

I would be very grateful for any thoughts you may have, both regarding the move at 11+ or 13+ and/or the two schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now