Godolphin Latymer or Henreitta Barnett

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
delnidhi12

Godolphin Latymer or Henreitta Barnett

Post by delnidhi12 »

Hi,
My daughter has cleared St Pauls, NLCS and Godolphin Latymer. Need to decide between Godolphin Latymer and Henreitta Barnett girls school .I just want to know which school will be the best suit as seeing the ethnicity wise being non white whether she would be able to adapt to GL. Overall which school would be better..my daughter is more keen towards academics, music and drama.
Commuting wise I am close to HBS and for GL she had to travel by tube which will take around 35 minutes.
nylon14

Re: Godolphin Latymer or Henreitta Barnett

Post by nylon14 »

If you live closer to HBS, than G& L will be a far journey. Why would you pick G&L over NLCS, both have the IB, and NLCS is in North London and is quite diverse, whereas G&L really isn't. G&L's music isn't particularly strong compared to NLCS and SPGS so I wouldn't pick it for that alone. A spot at HBS is like gold dust, well done to your DD.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Choose the nearest - travelling can take such a chunk of time out of the day and limits after school activities
nyr

Post by nyr »

DD is very happy at HBS and the school is good academically, for music and for drama. It's probably too early to know what your DD will choose to study in 5-7 years time but it's worth noting that there weren't any A level entries for music (or drama) last year and the results are stronger for languages and humanities than for the sciences. Maths results are also good. There are fewer exam entries for languages and humanities and the students no doubt benefit from teaching being more closely focused on individual needs. This pattern is similar to other schools, such as QE.

Family thrived at NLCS but I get the impression that results have been somewhat inconsistent since Mrs McCabe (RIP) moved towards retirement.

I don't know G&L or SPGS.
daddyshah

Post by daddyshah »

All are great schools - I’d go with the school closest to you. Any differences in rankings, ratings, oxbridge entries, etc will be relatively small. Travel time, costs and commitments are significant considerations.
Johnwang

Post by Johnwang »

Totally agree with daddyshah. We chose SHHS over NLCS mainly because it is easier to get to everyday (SHHS is just outside the tube station) especially for Yr 7/8 when DD is still relatively small, rankings/oxbridge entries are secondary in this consideration. At the end of the day these are all top schools. We have a younger boy who needs to be dropped off and picked up by us so the easier the commute the better :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now