Accepted a place and changed the mind before term start

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kindsoul

Accepted a place and changed the mind before term start

Post by kindsoul »

hope you all doing well!

My son has been offered a fee-paying place for year 7 at reputed Independent school. The school is not offering scholarship to any students at this point. They will do it beginning of year 8 based on the progress.

What if I accept the offer, pay the deposit and wait for the grammar school place (his score is not enough to get a place in first round, he stands a chance from waiting list).

Can the Independent school force me to pay one terms fee, if my son decided not to join the school and we let the school know our decision by June/July or as soon as he get a confirmed place in the grammar school.

how this process works?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.
Odinson

Re: Accepted a place and changed the mind before term start

Post by Odinson »

The details should be in the terms and conditions of the offer. Usually you will need to pay the deposit which is refundable if you change your mind within 14 days. Post the initial cool-off period, you lose the deposit. The fees are normally charged once the new term begins. Also note that some schools may include a portion of their term fees in their deposit which you will lose if you reserve a place and don't take it up. (e.g. CLSG)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

the amount payable does depend on the school and when you let them know that you will not be taking up the place - you need to check the details, some do require a terms fees after a certain date
branmoment

Post by branmoment »

Don't forget that, aside from the financial implications, accepting a place and withdrawing will inevitably be denying that place to another candidate
KeB

Post by KeB »

Can someone advise if the 14 day cooling period applies to all school deposits as long as everything has been done remotely and online ie email and bank transfer ?
I.e. as long as you have not dropped a cheque and acceptance forms hand by hand to the school ?
thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now