Habs boys vs Parmiter’s

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dilemmas

Habs boys vs Parmiter’s

Post by Dilemmas »

My DS has offers from Habs and Parmiter’s. Keen to hear thoughts on both schools to help make a decision. Distance is not an issue. Fees are do-able.
Dilemmas

Re: Habs boys vs Parmiter’s

Post by Dilemmas »

Can anyone help pls? ReAlly keen to hear about Parmiter’s good and bad points and how it might compare to Habs. Is Habs really worth the £££? Feels like a very big decision.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Hi Dilemmas. I can’t comment on Habs but Parmiter’s is a very good school. Both of my dc went there and they were happy on the whole. One was probably happier than the other but that was down to personality, I’d say. Both did well academically, but one needed more help from us even with her strongest subjects - it could have been the classroom environment or the teacher, or even her own unwillingness to stand out. Probably a mixture. Behaviour is good if the teacher has good classroom management. Occasionally, as with any school, you come across a teacher who hasn’t got the basic skills, but when they were struggling to recruit science teachers they did let us know. I found that reassuring. I wasn’t so keen on the fact that 80% of DD’s maths lessons were inadequate and perhaps we should have said something, but when you’re in the profession it’s sometimes harder to make a fuss. Good for sport, drama and music as well as academic.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Both great schools. There are many families right now who would be very glad of just one of them.

There will be those at HABS who are there because they were unable to secure a place at Parmiters, Watford, Latymer or DAO.

Parmiters is co-ed. HABS have announced plans to merge the two schools but it will take sometime for that to happen.

If it feels like choosing HABS is a big decision then that seems to indicate that there is not sufficient reason to make it.

There will be more people on the waiting list to take your Parmiters place than on the waiting list to take your HABS place as it requires financial commitment for seven years.

In your position I would choose Parmiters and I know of many families who have made the same decision. DG
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

Daogroupie wrote:HABS have announced plans to merge the two schools but it will take sometime for that to happen.
Habs have announced plans to "provide single sex education in a co-educational setting"

Daogroupie wrote:If it feels like choosing HABS is a big decision then that seems to indicate that there is not sufficient reason to make it.
Agree 100%
chillout29

Post by chillout29 »

I had to make the same decision a few years ago btw habs and parmiters- I chose parmiters - no regrets whatsoever - parmiters is a great school academically and my son is very happy and doing well there. Places are like gold dust at good state schools so it was a very easy decision for us to make. Also I could not see the point in paying school fees for many years - it can be very expensive especially when you have more than one child.

There are still lots of expenses to pay for though ie coach, school uniform, lunches, school trips etc etc so I’m relieved I don’t have to pay for school fees on top of that....
Balfron

Post by Balfron »

I love Parmiter’s but have found the quality of teaching quite variable. Leadership is good, communication is great and my bright DS is very happy and engaged but it’s not top level quality or facilities in every subject.
DLara

Post by DLara »

I can share my friend’s experience who was in the same situation a few years back. They were in between QE and HABS then decided chose Habs. They said there are a lots of extra-curricular activities available and school have great facilities. They believed made a better choice for their child as independent schools do some more support when the child struggling which was the one of the important point for them. They were extremely happy with the school.