Which School?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Guest55 wrote:I think you are far more likely to be ' able to get on with anyone' if you have attended a school with a much wider social miix than any Private school I know.

There is also a fine line between confidence and arrogance - having taught in both schools I find GS pupils more rounded individuals - taught to think and challenge -
I think I can tell the difference between confidence and arrogance, and in any case he spent the first 7 years of his education in ordinary primary and comprehensive schools. As we were at the time very hard up indeed and some of his fellow pupils came from extremely wealthy families there was clearly a very wide social mix at his school. I think you are making the mistake of thinking that all private schools are the same as the one (is it just the one?) you have taught in.

To Monstermunch - I think if you can afford it then yes, it is definitely worth it.
katel

Post by katel »

There's more to social mix than money!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi KES parent,
Some people are anti- independent schools as I have found out recently.
I think anyone with a reasonable education realises that smaller class sizes alone makes the education better plus the fact that teachers don't have to keep stopping lessons to deal with troublemakers who don't want to learn.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

l
"The `Vinson Report' on Public Education in NSW has become received wisdom. The report's recommendation on class sizes has attracted more attention than any other. This is unfortunate because it is on this issue that the Report is weakest. A thorough appraisal of the research on class sizes reveals that many studies have methodological problems that make their application in a real world context doubtful; many studies have introduced other reforms such as curriculum changes at the same time as class size reduction, making their individual effects impossible to determine; the large majority of studies have found no significant effects of class size on student achievement, while the remainder have shown small benefits, usually only when classes have less than 20 students; class size has less effect when teachers are competent; and the single most important influence on student achievement is teacher quality. Research shows unequivocally that it is far more valuable, both in educational and fiscal terms, to have good teachers than lots of teachers. It must be ensured that the current and incoming teaching force is the best it can be, before seeking to expand it."

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/k ... 1/05138743
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Dear Guest55,

I DO respect your posts and your profession, I have been reading lots of useful input from your unique point of view across this very interesting forum.

However, regarding the class size, isn't it really 'chicken & egg' situation? I mean, OK perhaps the good teachers will make no defference over 20kids in classroom but in order to recruit 'good teacher' candidates AND keep them as good & enthusiastic over the years? --- I'm not only talking about salary but from my experience of Birthday parties etc, I always thought it's nearly impossible to control, let alone teach more than 20kids (30? dream on) in one room.

As a result "maybe" good theachers tends to end up towards independent sector & at the end of the day I think that's what we are paying for private education. I'm sure there are many good teachers at state schools and bad teachers in Independents, but which has less risk & power of say from the parents!?

Kind Regards
Marmite
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Marmite & Zorro

It's actually a bit of myth that Independent Schools always have smaller class sizes. In Birmingham for example KE 5-Ways grammar (state sector) has class sizes of 25, whereas both KE Independents (KES and KEHS) have class sizes of 30 and 28 respectively.

From a teachers perspective (my wife has taught in both sectors) there is far greater workload for teacher in the Independent sector, irrespective of class sizes, simply because of the mandated extra curricula activies and extra open days/parents evenings etc.

Regards
zorro

Post by zorro »

Didn't realise that .
The school my son will be going to has classes of 20 below GCSE, 15 at GCSE and 11 at AS/A level.
T thought this was pretty standard.
With regard to teacher's extra workload don't the much longer school holidays compensate?

Post by 1401 »

Zorro

Just because the students are on holiday does not mean the teachers stop work - I have spent 5 days in school marking coursework during my so called holiday. In fact at least half of my colleagues are in today !!

In my year 12 A level set there are 36 - I would not recommed this - smaller class sizes enalbe students to be more proactive in their learning, ask questions without hesitation etc
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

Thanks for all the post - I am still none the wiser, but that is down to me, not he replies :(

Regarding arrogance, I have only come across a couple of schools where I found the boys to appear arrogant, but actually I think we all have chips on our shoulders to some extent, and if a person exudes self-confidence then those with lower self-esteem perceive it to be arrogance. Of course this is not always the case, and I'm not saying anyone has a chip on their shoulder here :)
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

1401 wrote:Zorro

Just because the students are on holiday does not mean the teachers stop work - I have spent 5 days in school marking coursework during my so called holiday. In fact at least half of my colleagues are in today !!
My kids have 9 weeks off in the summer, 4 weeks at Easter and Christmas, 3 2 week half-terms, and 6 4 day weekends per year off school. There is no way the teachers work these at our schools. They possibly work the half-terms and the first week before the school goes back. Also all the work has been marked before the end of term as we get detailed reports on the day they break up.
I would rather be an independent school teacher with longer days but with children that behaved, than have nightmare children for 2/3 of the time everyday. That aide, I'd rather not be a teacher and I take my hat off to those in comprehensive schools above all else :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now