Colfe's Sibling Entrance / ADHD

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ludo

Colfe's Sibling Entrance / ADHD

Post by Ludo »

Hi there.

Our eldest is at Colfe's. He has always been fairly academic. His younger brother is coming up to the age where we need to decide for secondary school for him. He has a diagnosis for ADHD and a type of dyslexia and so is less academic in the traditional sense and is more into music and drama and arts. His ADHD has never translated into bad behaviour or anything in the classroom but has meant we have had to work harder at home to keep him up sometimes. It is becoming less of an issue as he gets older (and his older brother has some similar, albeit more minor, issues at a similar age) but I don't know how he will fare on an entrance exam.

During the interview process for our eldest we asked them what their policy was on sibling admissions. They said that whilst of course they would look favourably upon sibling applicants "he would still need to pass the test".

My questions are:
1 - Does anyone have any experience of how lenient Colfe's are for sibling admissions typically?
2 - Do independent schools have any provisions or motivations to take on children with special educational needs? Given that they aren't funded by the state I wonder if it is in their interests to take on children that they might perceive as being more work?
3 - If this doesn't work out can anyone suggest any other independent schools in London or the south east which might be more suitable?

Thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: Colfe's Sibling Entrance / ADHD

Post by hermanmunster »

Ludo wrote: 2 - Do independent schools have any provisions or motivations to take on children with special educational needs? Given that they aren't funded by the state I wonder if it is in their interests to take on children that they might perceive as being more work?
Hi and welcome to the forum - the only bit I can help with is the above question - some schools have considerable provisions to help children with specific needs and that is why some parents opt to send the children there - though it all has to be paid for and would be on top of the fees.
Ludo

Post by Ludo »

hermanmunster wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum - the only bit I can help with is the above question - some schools have considerable provisions to help children with specific needs and that is why some parents opt to send the children there - though it all has to be paid for and would be on top of the fees.
That's helpful to know, thank you.
SELondon

Post by SELondon »

Hi - not sure about how lenient Colfe's is with sibling policy, but noticed quite a few siblings there. On special needs, they do make accommodations in their entrance exam when justified, for eg separate room, addl time etc. So make sure to request that if applicable.
I think what is important is to also consider if the school can support your child's needs and how well they can thrive in that environment. Have heard of the school nudging some SEN children away in secondary later years. Of course this varies by child. Based on your older child's experience of schedule& curriculum, think about the fit for your younger one.
Good luck.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Independent schools vary a huge amount. I know one school in Chislehurst where special provision is a cost on top of the school fees. Some for minor SEN there is no additional charge. As to admissions nearly all I know whether they admit will be about the best fit.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now