Does NLCS waiting list move?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
corpuscallosum

Does NLCS waiting list move?

Post by corpuscallosum »

Hello all, my child has received offers from City girls, Habs girls and St Albans girls this morning. She has been offered a place on the waiting list at NLCS. We are very happy with her options and know that its an enviable position to be in. All of you always advise to pick the school eaisest to get/travel to and that is NLCS for us. Is there any hope of being able to get a seat at NLCS? Does the waiting list ever move? thanks
Daogroupie

Re: Does NLCS waiting list move?

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes it absolutely does. I know of dc waiting for HBS who have an offer and dc on the waiting list of St Pauls who have an offer and others waiting for DAO.

Just as you have 3 offers , others have 3, 4, or 5 and nobody can go to more than one school so there are a lot of places everywhere that will be handed back in the next few weeks.

Email them and tell them that it is your first choice and should they have any places handed back that you would accept immediately on the phone.

They then know to put you on the top of the list and not waste phone calls on people who have already accepted offers elsewhere.

Good luck, hope you get a call soon.

DG
corpuscallosum

Post by corpuscallosum »

Thank you DG for your response. We hope so too.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Just be wary of the fact that some of the independent schools may over-offer, I don't know exactly which and to what extent but they all know that a significant number of the places they offer will be turned down as pupils will have several offers, hence they offer more places than they actually plan to take in.
corpuscallosum

Post by corpuscallosum »

Indeed, I do realize that they may fill out all their seats in spite of some rejections, in the 1st round of offers. We will certainly not be relying on it coming through! Also, no clue where we are on the hierarchy of the waitlist Thanks.
goinggreyfast

Post by goinggreyfast »

I can add a bit more context here. Last year NLCS over offered and had more acceptances than usual but they honoured all those places and created an extra form. I am not quite sure what that means for this year - it may mean they have been more circumspect with offers, or may mean they have done the same again. And yes they did stop offering scholarships a few years ago (they said all their girls should consider themselves scholars!) and they put all the money into bursary places. So no one will be waiting to see whether they get a scholarship or not. There may well be movement on NLCS once the state school offers come out next week.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There will be a number of students holding offers who will receive offers from HBS, DAO, Latymer etc. DG
corpuscallosum

Post by corpuscallosum »

Thanks 'going...', yes that is certainly a possibility. Well time to pay a deposit at either Habs or CLSG.

How much weight does one give to their child's choice. Habs is 20-25 mins school coach ride but CLSG is 55-60 min end to end with 40 mins on the tube. We are leaning towards Habs because it is so close we could drive up in less than 15 mins! My daughter is in tears begging to go to CLSG. We did love city a lot but 25vs 55 seems a big difference. The stress of long travel especially in GCSE year, may be not having enough friends Y7/8 nearby. I feel like an old fashioned cruel parent denying my child something they so badly want.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

corpuscallosum wrote:Thanks 'going...', yes that is certainly a possibility. Well time to pay a deposit at either Habs or CLSG.

How much weight does one give to their child's choice. Habs is 20-25 mins school coach ride but CLSG is 55-60 min end to end with 40 mins on the tube. We are leaning towards Habs because it is so close we could drive up in less than 15 mins! My daughter is in tears begging to go to CLSG. We did love city a lot but 25vs 55 seems a big difference. The stress of long travel especially in GCSE year, may be not having enough friends Y7/8 nearby. I feel like an old fashioned cruel parent denying my child something they so badly want.
Just curious, but since you had your DD sit the entrances exam for CLSG and as far as I am aware, the school hasn't upped sticks and moved in the past few months, you must have entertained the possibility of her attending the school, if she was offered a place there? Or was it only ever meant to be a backup, should she not get a place anywhere closer to home, and she wasn't actually meant to fall in love with it?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
corpuscallosum

Post by corpuscallosum »

You ask valid questions toadmum, my husband was against applying and even sitting the test but my kid was very insistent so we had her sit the test. If you look you will find that the only other question I have asked on this forum confirms that I wasn't confident if my daughter would get into any top tier independent schools. Before you wonder well why did you put her through it then, I believe sitting academic tests is like playing sports, you will come across formidable opponents and you know that you have no chance but you show up& play your best, not forfeit the game. Also my daughter has enjoyed going to these amazing schools and facing the papers and interviews. We did have a easy going but lovely school as a backup.CLSG can never be thought of as backup. Not going to lie, my daughter has exceeded my expectations. Also when I applied and currently I work fairly close to city school but I am looking for a new job and if it isnt close by, then I will not be able to help her ease into the travel transition, She is only 10 yet and dad is going to be a worrywart.
My daughter was also head over heels for Nonsuch Girls and insisted that we sell our house and move south of the river. It is difficult to watch her upset and that's why I am swaying so much.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now