Forest School offers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TMB14

Forest School offers

Post by TMB14 »

We received an offer from Forest this morning and have another from Emanuel. We're in-between geographically so distance and access will not be key determinants of our decision.

But the schools seem to be equally far apart in nature. Forest has a slightly more state school feel in its performance and cohort. Whereas the school in south London is climbing league tables, but appears to lack much cultural diversity. One is a football school, the other rugby. One has substantial grounds, the other is relatively small (but with grounds elsewhere).

Both are co-ed and seem to have supportive pastoral care.

Does anyone have further insights on either school?
New11plusparent

Re: Forest School offers

Post by New11plusparent »

Congratulations! It's interesting you feel Forest has more of a state school vibe - I didn't get that sense in my limited exposure, but certainly is something I will explore further. We received an offer from them too, so just weighing it up, vs other offers. Have you arranged to go on a tour and the taster day?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

TMB14 wrote:We received an offer from Forest this morning and have another from Emanuel. We're in-between geographically so distance and access will not be key determinants of our decision.

But the schools seem to be equally far apart in nature. Forest has a slightly more state school feel in its performance and cohort. Whereas the school in south London is climbing league tables, but appears to lack much cultural diversity. One is a football school, the other rugby. One has substantial grounds, the other is relatively small (but with grounds elsewhere).

Both are co-ed and seem to have supportive pastoral care.

Does anyone have further insights on either school?
I must say whenever I viewed private schools (at both primary and secondary level) I immediately knew whether I liked a place and whether it would be a good fit for DC.

Which do you really like?

If you had only got one place at one of the schools would you be pleased that you had that one or disappointed that you missed out on the other?
TMB14

Post by TMB14 »

New11plusparent wrote:Congratulations! It's interesting you feel Forest has more of a state school vibe - I didn't get that sense in my limited exposure, but certainly is something I will explore further. We received an offer from them too, so just weighing it up, vs other offers. Have you arranged to go on a tour and the taster day?
Thanks. I Like Forest and didn't mean that in any way to be a negative thing. It just struck me that the student body seemed more representative of London's population than Emanuel's. Neither school is shooting the lights out with their academics, but both appear to have a well-rounded offering. Our son will go to tasters for both next week. Were they more similar, I think it would be easier to choose a 'better' option. Good luck with your choice.
drinkmoretea

Post by drinkmoretea »

@TMB14, I don't know much about Emanuel, but Forest does have a good number of children bussed in from the West. If you are somewhere between the two you might find many more close to you at Forest than at Emanuel.
TMB14

Post by TMB14 »

It turns out that Forest has hugely misjudged their offers and has now brought forward the acceptance deadline from next Monday to Thursday this week.

An email at 4pm, two days before the new deadline is a little odd, no? It will partly be a scare tactic to dissuade some from accepting, but is also a fairly poor showing.
goinggreyfast

Post by goinggreyfast »

Cynically I wonder if the news their teachers have been striking over pensions is about to break…
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

TMB14 wrote:It turns out that Forest has hugely misjudged their offers and has now brought forward the acceptance deadline from next Monday to Thursday this week.

An email at 4pm, two days before the new deadline is a little odd, no? It will partly be a scare tactic to dissuade some from accepting, but is also a fairly poor showing.
Either they have decided to turn them into exploding offers ie will disappear quickly if not taken up (have they really got that many wanting places AND have they over offered to that degree?) or they just want more people to confirm so that they know where they are
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now