City of London Boys versus Highgate

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

888EightLight

Re: City of London Boys versus Highgate

Post by 888EightLight »

Tricky choice…I know families with children at both.

City is just behind Westminster on recent Oxbridge Applications - something like 40% a couple of years back. Remarkable.
Teachers I know who have worked there say it is an amazing safe environment where every child is taught to succeed in a kind way.
Your boy likes swimming and science? That’s very City.

But…Highgate is a very good school too.
Lots of space for competitive outdoor sports. And the co-ed environment can work well. I think Highgate did some really good work after the online bullying/abuse allegations that led to the pupils’ demonstration. I think they brought in a retired judge to help.

It’s always a difficult choice - do you let your child choose or choose what you believe will suit them best?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

City is on 48% success rate for Oxbridge offers last year, just 2% lower than Westminster. DG
boys11plus

Post by boys11plus »

It was really helpful to hear your views. I read them to my son. I think I will let him go with his instinct and so choose City. I can see from the replies that it is hard to find any negative sides about City. If it was me going then I would choose Highgate from what all of you write.

Today it was state school offer. We got The Cardinal Vaughan Memorial school. I don't know anyone going there. But I think it is supposed to be good. I am a bit tempted but probably won't decide. We can pay the private school fees (just about) but it is a sacrifice so of course saving on fees over 7 years is very tempting. If we got private schools lower academically we would not think twice, we would go with CVMS but with City and Highgate I think it is just such a privilege to be selected that we have to sacrifice on other spendings. Does anyone has more knowledge about CVMS? Are we doing the right thing? We have to pay the deposit in City/Highgate tomorrow so very last moment for any swing decisions. It is so helpful to hear other opinions. I know we are extremely lucky this year to have such a choice.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You are not lucky. Your son worked hard for those places and deserves his success. DG