City of London Boys versus Highgate

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

boys11plus

City of London Boys versus Highgate

Post by boys11plus »

We have narrowed down our choice to City Boys versus Highgate but it is really hard to decide as they are quite different when one visits and each seems to have advantages and disadvantages. The deadline is in two days. Are there any parents with children at either to help? What are the negative sides (if any) and what are the positives when you attend? Any info would be very helpful.
rala

Re: City of London Boys versus Highgate

Post by rala »

Both are good schools, but I'd recommend CLS based on some boys we know who study there.

As for Highgate, they over-offer and may turn down your acceptance if they have reached their target number. So, you might want to check with them.
boys11plus

Post by boys11plus »

Thank you for writing quickly. Yes, we know Highgate over-offers but we are taking the risk as we are 50:50 between the two, City does not over offer so we end up with them in the case if Highgate withdraws. I was told that it only happened two times and not by much. So I think we still have time. Also we only managed to get a tour in City today. Would you be able to provide a bit more details on City if you know children there.
11plus13plus

Post by 11plus13plus »

Worth to check if Highgate still have places.
Both schools are more or less at the same academic level. City has higher Oxbridge rate but a clever boy will get his results at either school. Choose one with the better commute.
boys11plus

Post by boys11plus »

Commute is slightly better to Highgate but not much and given they start their day 15min earlier he would have to leave at the same time. I think our main worry is that we heard (although it may not be true) that Highgate is a bit more public school like with a large number of very rich and so a bit arrogant children and City is more diverse and balanced in that respect with more down to earth ethos and focusing on hard work. But it may not be correct. I was hoping that maybe parents of children currently in either schools will have some opinions to share.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Highgate has been very very generous to less well off local students and their siblings so they are definitely trying to encourage a more diverse intake. They are 29th in the Top 100 schools for Oxbridge offers using figures provided by Oxford and Cambridge themselves as opposed to the GCSE and A level results allocated by the schools themselves. Their figures are 92 applicants and 28 offers so a percentage success rate of 30%. This is higher than HABS, QE BOYS, TIFFIN AND WILSONS.

Both great schools, but co-ed and location would swing it for me. DG
rala

Post by rala »

on the other hand, CLS is at 11th position with 41 offers for 86 applicants, so, you are in a good position!

School Type Applied Offers
1 Westminster School, London Independent 186 93
2 Hills Road College, Cambridge State (sixth form) 250 71
3 Eton College, Windsor Independent 208 69
4 Peter Symonds College, Winchester State (sixth form) 201 62
5 St Paul’s School, London Independent 150 59
6 Magdalen College School, Oxford Independent 129 47
7 King’s College, Wimbledon Independent 142 46
8 Brighton Hove and Sussex College State (sixth form) 185 46
9 Greenhead College, Huddersfield State (sixth form) 114 44
10 St Paul’s Girls’ School, London Independent 96 42
11 City of London School Independent 86 41
boys11plus

Post by boys11plus »

Thank you everyone. Still have not decided although we have to today really. If it was me to go to school again I think I would choose Highgate due to the greenery, open spaces, village feel, fresh air etc... combined with academic excellence. My son prefers City but I am not sure he can judge well. I think he is thinking about rankings having put work, and then going over this very stressful process. I know that it is a very good position to be in as they are both good, but one has to choose. My son likes boys only, but I am not sure is actually good for him. Commute wise is about 35mins door to door Highgate, and about 45-50min City but as I said given City starts 15min later the set off time in the morning will be the same and 10min is not really worth to worry about I think. I think our issue is that I prefer Highgate and he prefers City. Of course it is him who is going there but he is only 10 (11 in June) so he doesn't capture the whole picture I think. He likes that it is boys only, he likes that it is higher ranked and is not thinking about things like fresh air, open spaces. He likes sports but is not crazy about it and his strongest is swimming which would be the same as City has 25m swimming pool. He is more math/science oriented but I don't know if it makes a difference for either.
rala

Post by rala »

Good Luck; you cannot go wrong either way.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Choose Highgate.

He will have many more local friends and he will thank you for that later.

Plus he will eventually like having girls around. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now