Decision - Caterham vs Reigate Grammar School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
julymermaid

Decision - Caterham vs Reigate Grammar School

Post by julymermaid »

DS has received offers from both these schools and we are really torn between which one is the better option for him. DS is essentially academic and not very sporty. He has a quirky style of learning and exploring topics off curriculum and is passioante about Astronomy and the Environment. He has an academic scholarship offer from Reigate, which in monetary terms won't really impact our decision. They important thing for us to ensure we pick the right school for him that nurtures his curiosity to learn. Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks !
Choco

Re: Decision - Caterham vs Reigate Grammar School

Post by Choco »

I have known kids at both schools. They have all seemed to like their school and found clubs which have nurtured their sometimes niche interests.

I have known more at Reigate and remember a boy who was in some kind of weather club which was sending a weather balloon into space, and also went to war gaming modelling club. I think was also in an eco club or maybe it was an eco committee. But I expect Caterham run similar too.

Presumably one is nearer to you. That could be the key deciding factor when it’s a close thing.

A scholarship is a nice-to-have and gives the kids a boost, if not much money in the parental pocket. I think the school runs an extension programme that is open to all, but scholars get particular invitations, and tend to be more represented at the activities, so get to hang out with those of a similar type. That can quite a nice thing.

I think in these kinds of clubs, kids find their ‘tribe’ often via extra curricular. Sporty ones quickly find other sporty types and nerdy types (and there will be lots at both those schools) find their little soul mates too at computing club, or chess, or debating or coding club. It’s one of the good things about them.

Sorry, no real help deciding, but I think location and ease of travel for yourself and particularly your child is a biggie. If one school is in walking distance, that’s such a huge boon for independence and ease and worth a lot I’d say.

Presumably your DS has a fave. If it’s totally closely matched and there’s no travel benefit if one, you could just let him decide. Or go with the scholarship if there’s nothing else to decide it?
julymermaid

Post by julymermaid »

Thank you Choco. We are located slap bang in the middle :lol: ! Would you have a view of which school offers better tech clubs? And which is a better tech adopter? That could also be a factor in our decision. And I really take on board your point about finding their tribe ... DS does struggle with that somehwat in his current school and having more opportunities to do so through a scholarship programme might really help him. Appreciate your input.

Choco wrote:I have known kids at both schools. They have all seemed to like their school and found clubs which have nurtured their sometimes niche interests.

I have known more at Reigate and remember a boy who was in some kind of weather club which was sending a weather balloon into space, and also went to war gaming modelling club. I think was also in an eco club or maybe it was an eco committee. But I expect Caterham run similar too.

Presumably one is nearer to you. That could be the key deciding factor when it’s a close thing.

A scholarship is a nice-to-have and gives the kids a boost, if not much money in the parental pocket. I think the school runs an extension programme that is open to all, but scholars get particular invitations, and tend to be more represented at the activities, so get to hang out with those of a similar type. That can quite a nice thing.

I think in these kinds of clubs, kids find their ‘tribe’ often via extra curricular. Sporty ones quickly find other sporty types and nerdy types (and there will be lots at both those schools) find their little soul mates too at computing club, or chess, or debating or coding club. It’s one of the good things about them.

Sorry, no real help deciding, but I think location and ease of travel for yourself and particularly your child is a biggie. If one school is in walking distance, that’s such a huge boon for independence and ease and worth a lot I’d say.

Presumably your DS has a fave. If it’s totally closely matched and there’s no travel benefit if one, you could just let him decide. Or go with the scholarship if there’s nothing else to decide it?
Choco

Post by Choco »

I think Caterham have been big ipad users for a good few years. Not sure about Reigate on this matter, although I’ve heard they were promptly teaching online during lockdown.

My feeling is that schools are increasingly flexible about IT. It used to be a big thing to say everything was done on a laptop or ipad and everything was electronic. And then it became clear kids still handwritten exams and there are times when paper and pen is better, so I feel like schools all have it and use it selectively when it suits and works for the particular task, rather than being quite so rigid that the IT way is the best way, like a few years ago.

I’m sure you can’t go wrong with either.
Is one easier to get to by public transport? Schools buses and parental lifts are all great, but as they get older, there are times when they need to get home during the school day (during study leave) or go to school for something in the holidays when a parent isn’t about to give a lift, and knowing they can do it easily alone, can be worth a lot, if you’re not in walking distance.

Good luck choosing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now