St Helen's Or Northwood College for Girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shr27

St Helen's Or Northwood College for Girls

Post by Shr27 »

Hi All, My DD got offers from NLCS, HABS, City of London, GL, St Helens (scholarship) and Northwood College (Scholarship).
DD is academically bright and has lots of interest in different sports and arts.
We are leaning towards St Helen's and Northwood college as they are the closest and also will save us lot of money.
Is St Helen's still good under the new headteacher?
Is Northwood College good for more academically abled kids?
Please can someone guide me about pros and cons of both.
Much appreciated!
rala

Re: St Helen's Or Northwood College for Girls

Post by rala »

I'd recommend CLSG or NLCS for an academically strong girl over St.Helen's. Northwood is not in the same league, academically, at least, in my view
peroni

Post by peroni »

Deciding between the top private schools in the UK, that will cost a parent six figures overall.

Many local parents choose St Helen's rather than HABS.
Shr27

Post by Shr27 »

Thank you both. We would have loved to choose NLCS or City but the cost is proving too much and also being local in St Helen’s area plus their scholarship program, we are leaning towards it. It will also save travel time and money. Also we felt St Helen’s is more academic than Northwood.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

St Helens is more academic than Northwood and you will not have the financial pressures. I think this is the right decision.

How many preps at St Helens compared to City and Habs?

The more 11 plus entrants the more academic the students will be. DG
Shr27

Post by Shr27 »

Daogroupie wrote:
How many preps at St Helens compared to City and Habs?
. DG
I don’t understand the above question?
Thank you for confirming we are making the right choice. Less financial pressure will be a much welcome relief. We know 3 more girls who have chosen St Helen’s over schools in the city like GL and City of London, mainly for less travel time.
Do you think choosing St Helen’s over Upton Grammar school is a wise choice?
We want overall growth for our DD hence choosing independent over grammar.
HBS was our first choice but sadly she didn’t clear the 2nd Round.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The preps are the dds who start at the schools at primary level and therefore do not have to do the 11 plus.

The problem with this is that when the 11 plus intake comes in they have been studying and working hard for exams so their levels are above the preps.

A question I would ask at any selective school would be how many preps will be coming up from the primary school to join the 11 plus intake.

DG
Shr27

Post by Shr27 »

Thank you. I will check that as well!!!
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

Daogroupie wrote:The preps are the dds who start at the schools at primary level and therefore do not have to do the 11 plus.

The problem with this is that when the 11 plus intake comes in they have been studying and working hard for exams so their levels are above the preps.

A question I would ask at any selective school would be how many preps will be coming up from the primary school to join the 11 plus intake.

DG
Why is it a problem?

Yes, the 11+ intake will have spent a couple of years preparing for maths and English, but as a result they'll probably be behind in sciences, languages etc.

The question to ask is how the schools go about equalizing these things in year 7.
guesswho

Post by guesswho »

it is not a problem at all. Those sitting 11+ have mostly focused on nothing but Maths and English for a couple of years at least. Those in the prep schools attached to super selectives haven't. They might not have covered the same ground in those subjects but their learning is more rounded in all other areas. Year 7 is a year for consolidation of topics and preparation for the way of learning needed in senior school. By the end of year 7 there is no difference between the cohorts in any areas.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now